Thursday, February 05, 2009

Sometimes its hard to blog


Many of you know my Aunt Beth (don't be fooled by the nomenclature -she is more like a grandmother than an Aunt). You may remember that she was diagnosed with Colon Cancer last year. The news came around the time of our mildly depressing (because we were all sick - especially me) Christmas. She has soldiered through the difficulties of major surgery followed by Chemotherapy.  Then she suffered a stroke. Meg and I went after Christmas to help around the house and get things in order for an easier rehabilitation. We made plans for her next trip here to Texas to see the kids, play board games, eat good food, etc. All the stuff that is fun to look forward to.
After we left, therapy got harder and then the ability to walk became affected.  Last Wednesday she was admitted to the hospital.  It was not a stroke. The cancer has spread even while under the attack of chemotherapy. It has metastasized in her brain and lymph nodes. Radiation was tried but it was excruciating. Sometimes the best fight is to stop fighting.  Plans are being worked out now for Hospice care.  The emotions that surface are many. Frustrations at the doctors for not letting us know this may have been cancer and not a stroke. A much different Christmas would have occurred.  Anger at the current state of the economy (especially ours) I would love to get all of us plane tickets and be right at Aunt Beth's side. I have contemplated a road trip with just me and the kids and while I pride myself on the ability to tackle almost any obstacle - a road trip with four kids on my own does frighten me.  There is sadness that we are all so far apart to begin with. But over all of that is love and concern.  It is her birthday on Saturday. I think prayers would be nice this year.

5 comments:

InWeighOverMyHead said...

I understand and I'm sorry...

The A Team said...

our prayers are with you and your family.

Hallie said...

Oh Janie. My prayers are with all of you.

My name is Andrea said...

Oh I am so sorry, Janie. Cancer sucks. I had an "aunt" just like that who went through the same thing. I will be praying for you and for your dear aunt. Love you!

Sarah said...

love you and know that our prayers are with you always :D