Friday, February 06, 2009

Mae Elizabeth Harris

was her given name but she went by a few names:
Her older sister called her "Bay Sister" for decades, it started as "baby sister" but became bay sister as many nicknames do.
Her husband called her Cuticles, she made fun of "cutsie" pet names couples used, so he said fine I'll call you cuticles then.
I almost forgot "MaeBeth" what her mother and my mom called her. The true nature of a good southern name, the many nicknames
Most called her Beth even though mail only came to Mae E. Harris
We called her Aunt Beth.
Although sometimes we called her a cheater if she won the card game.

Mae Elizabeth Harris
February 7, 1938 - February 6, 2009
 
This world is not conclusion;
A sequel stands beyond,
Invisible as music,
But positive, as sound. 
Emily Dickinson

12 comments:

Hallie said...

You will be missed Aunt Beth. Janie, my prayers are with your family during your time of grief.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!! Thoughts, prayers, sympathy and love are with you all!
God Bless.

My name is Andrea said...

I'm so sorry, Janie. I know you are dying to be with your family right now. Are you going to go? Let me know if I can help with anything. Know you are in our prayers.

Erin said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family. Last year we lost a favorite uncle and father figure to colon cancer. He fought a good fight for 1 1/2 years. We miss him but know that he is still with us in spirit.

Erin said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family, Janie. We lost a favorite uncle and father figure to colon cancer last year after a very courageous battle. We miss him but know that he is often with us in spirit.

Lisa said...

I am VERY truely sorry for your loss. I know how bad you must want to get to your family.

Ryann said...

Oh Janie that happened so quickly. I know that you were hoping for more time. How are you feeling? How are the kids doing?

I know that having so many losses in such rapid succession is so painful. But you have more family than you know. You've always felt like a sister to me. I love yoy Janie!

Sarah said...

love you!!!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

Sorry for your loss! I hope you feel all the love around you and the arms of HF wrapped around you at this time.

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing those special things about your Aunt Beth with us. I will say a prayer for your family during this hard time.

Beth said...

Oh, Janie! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers during this tough time! I only met Aunt Beth once, but she was so friendly and made me feel like she was my Aunt Beth, too.

Abby said...

Our sympathies, Janie and family. She sounded like a real character with lots of moxie.