Monday, July 28, 2008

You may approach the baby...

Here she is today, on her due date! Weighing in at 10 lbs. 2 ozs. I am glad she was born on the 12th!
Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting!
"I hate opening my eyes"
There they are
All ready for her first day at church.



So I was thinking lately about my hands on mindset that seems to be different than most of the population. When pregnant I hear from many women how "annoying" it is when strangers think its ok to touch their bellies. I personally think its awesome. There are so many negative things about my pregnancies that when someone thinks its so cool that there is a baby inside of me that they just can't resist touching my bulge it makes me smile!! When Cora was very active I just wanted to take the hand of whoever happened to be by me and let them feel my baby move - whether it was a stranger or not. (I didn't though) I also didn't mind the "you look huge" statements. - Its nice to know I looked pregnant and not just fatter!


And now that she is here I still feel the need to share her cuteness with the world. I know this goes against many mother's instincts but I like people to hold my baby. I want people to give into the urge to stroke her little fingers and melt when they get her in their arms. I sure melt!


Many of you know my irritation with germaphobia. It saddens me that so many are too afraid of germ transfer to touch my baby. Little old ladies swoon, but step back two paces. So sad. I breastfeed her for many reasons, but a big one is the antibodies I know she is getting. Germs don't freak me out at all. In her first two weeks Cora has been to four restaurants, the movies, the mall, and the park twice. Besides, a dose of germs here and there only make you stronger. No offense but I have noticed over time that my germaphobe friends' children are sicker more often and more severely than my kids. This article explains how germs are good for you . So just ask if you'd like to hold my little baby (she won't be little for long) and chances are very good I will let you.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks like her Daddy in the sleeping picture. So cute!! I would love to hold her.

Meredith said...

That smile was cute enough to make me want to have another newborn (which is only safe because I can't have another one....)
So cute Janie!

Unknown said...

Janie,

I am so glad that I definately don't have whooping cough. I WANT to hold and cuddle this baby. I have checked and double checked now, following an ER visit Sunday night. I am NOT contagious! So, pass the baby, please!

Rene

Sarah said...

i'm glad you're not a germaphobe cause i could hold that kid 24/7 :D

Ryann said...

Janie-you rock! I agree with so many things that you said. First off, I love it when people tell me that I am huge when I'm pregnant. I too like it that people can see that belly and that it is a baby and not just some extra rolls.

I also take the kids everywhere and let pretty much anyone hold them. Babies are a joy and should be shared! I remember when you let me hold Ella for two hours the first time that I met you. I was thrilled! She was only a couple of weeks old and I was in heaven.

Beth said...

What a cute video! I love the sleeping smile - how precious! I would love to hold Cora if I were there!

Amanda said...

LOL!!! I bet everybody will be lining up to hold Cora!

Bethanne said...

So very cute! I would LOVE to hold her...

And about the germ thing. So true. My sister is like that about germs and her kids seem to always be sick too. But that is the way she wants to do things and so I respect that...

Kleanteeth said...

I guess it's the cold German blood in me, but I don't really enjoy people touching my belly, unless they're close friends. Speaking for the phobes, well, I won't admit to being a complete phobe, but even phobes houses have enough germs in it to build a kid's immune system. Church gets me the most. Some kid picks his nose, wipes his butt, holds his Mom's hand who shakes the door greeter's hand who has shaken 100 hands who have been heaven knows where. A squirt of sanitizer can't hurt, right? Our immune systems are on overload anyways just breathing.
Sleeping babies are irresistible, though, even to me.