Friday, July 06, 2012

totally random thoughts

in no particular order
lately I have been thinking about wiping out my blog - not stop blogging just erasing the past. Printing it out for me and taking it away from the internet.

so much of my thoughts and opinions are drastically different from what I have espoused in the past. Some of it embarrasses me, well not really since its really, really hard to embarrass me since I decided to generally stop caring what other people think.

i consider separating my rants from my family stuff - but then I think why? I rant to my family why can't I rant on my family blog?

there has been so much in da news lately that I want to add my commentary to, but I suspect it will drain my time so I don't. But here are some articles I have a lot to say about:

Germany court rules circumcision an assault on boys

An ethicist take on that ruling: Religion is no excuse to mutilate your baby's penis.


Will we ever be enlightened enough to stop inductions?

This is NOT what I think feminism is

Declaration of independence from dieting

Homebirths are cost effective (er duh)


How to scare women about homebirths by relying heavily on one fanatic (or how to be a crappy journalist)

and today:

bad title because incurable makes it sound like a death sentence - but the article is the honest truth:

Fat is officially incurable


And... on a more serious note this blogger tackles some very tough issues that have bruised my soul as of late but it makes me feel good to know I am not the only faithful member who thinks this way (these are well researched posts from a believing member lest you think otherwise) Links are in purple, italics are his writings - his post are very long not unlike a great book:

Is this hurting the church?

In 1961 Church headquarters announced a new program that it called “Correlation.” This new way of doing things was introduced in conference by apostle Harold B. Lee. It was described as a benefit, sold as a way to coordinate and unify all the various programs of the church.

What it ended up being was a stifling means of control, not only of individual wards, but also of many individual members. The policies of correlation took decades to fully implement, and most of us didn't even notice the subtle changes


Problems with general conference (that story from the prez made me scratch my head too)
Imagine one of these foreigners watching a conference session for the very first time, and later relating this information to a friend who missed it:

“Praise Allah! I saw The Prophet of the Lord on TV yesterday.”

“Oh yes? What did this holy man have to say?”

“He said there was this time he was at a meeting and God told him to announce a particular man was to be the speaker, but that man was not even at the meeting.  Then, just when all hope is lost, the guy shows up.”

“That is indeed a miracle. What else did this prophet have to say?”

“He said that when he was a young boy he accidently left a five dollar bill in his pants pocket, and the pants went to the laundry.  He prayed mightily to the Lord that when he got the pants back, the money might still be in the pocket.”

“What happened?”

“When the pants came back from the laundry, the money was still in the pocket.”

“Wow. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.”


And this one is especially poignant to Kyle and I:

Go ahead and skip that temple wedding.

It was of such importance to Joseph Smith that weddings not be held in secret that the policy was codified in the Doctrine and Covenants:
All marriages in this church of Christ of Latter Day Saints,” the scripture stated, “should be solemnized in a public meeting, or feast, prepared for this purpose..."
...The persons to be married,” are to be “standing together, the man on the right, and the woman on the left...” 


really all of his top posts are dang near brilliant and if he taught gospel doctrine I'd be in the first row every sunday and pick his brain after!!!!


moving on,

I regret cutting off most of my hair.

I hate putting on sunscreen

I hate putting sunscreen on wiggling kids.

I love watermelon with salt on it.

I love the lazy days of summer.

Yet I have a couple of big projects to tackle and want to get a head start on school stuff.

three kids in tree different schools this year will be interesting.

Sometimes I want to move and ask Kyle late at night if he's on board with that. Then we both talk me out of it.

I have had no dreams about the baby. but I am kind of thinking girl.

we still can't decide on a boy name.

we are still seriously considering dropping health insurance, which clouds my political opinion on all that national healthcare stuff lately - the bottom line is I just don't care anymore. conservatives don't seem to have the guts to fix what we have so I guess the liberals will get it successfully handed over to Uncle Sam so he can screw it up. Either way we are screwed at this point.

I don't like Romney.

I think I might be a libertarian.

I'll go have some more watermelon.



8 comments:

Ryann said...

Loved, loved the church articles. Very interesting information about corporations. And correlations. Tried to talk to Terry about it but he was not interested. Did you and Kyle discuss the articles? Am almost thinking that it would fun to share that information but woah, the backlash that could come...

Alan Rock Waterman said...

Janie,
Thanks for your kind words and enthusiasm for my writings. You are my new best friend.

Janie said...

Welcome Alan (or Rock - which is it?) Your Blog has given me a such a sense of finally be able to move past some issues!!

Ryann - read all his top posts for starters - its really worth it.

I did share with Kyle and he read them and they have lead to some of the best discussions as of late. He even said for one "this is what I was trying to tell you myself"

this one: http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2009/07/worst-testimony-you-can-possibly-have.html

J8j619 said...

Hi Janie!
I'm a long time reader (okay, stalker) of your blog and I am totally against you wiping out your past entries. I've been reading your blog since 2007 and yes, your entries now show a different perspective and I've seen how your views and beliefs have changed-but to me, that shows growth and humility and it's a wonderful example to us imperfect humans.

You blog about topics that I am sure you receive criticism for but what that says to me is that you are intelligent, strong, passionate and you strive to live a liffe filled with purpose-and that's very admirable!

I realized a couple years ago that people who are quick to anger and criticize are only feeding their selfish ego. "Haters" of your entries about weight and circumcision that comment to you with defense, anger and criticism don't have their "humble, Christ-like-glasses on." I truly believe if we all strive to live a more humble and self-less life, there would be a lot less anger and more peace, love and understanding.

J8j619 said...

I was born in to the gospel and an active LDS member (temple recommend and all) for many years. After my temple marriage ended in divorce, I immediately fell away from the church. I became very in-active in every sense of the word. I broke the word of wisdom, I broke the law of chastity, I got two tattoos and basically lived and pah-tay'ed like a careless teenager even though I was in my late 20's.

That lasted three years, and I eventually woke up one day and felt empty, lonely and just un-happy.

So I decided to go back to church.

So far, my conversion has been a slow progressive journey. I do things now that I never did before even when I was at my most "worthy".

I read and ponder the scriptures with curiosity.
I question doctrine. A lot.
I study the history of our nation and our constitution. And then I question that.

Sometimes I am so confused and I don't know what the heck or who to believe!

Questioning and doubting the rules of this church makes me feel guilty. Questioning and doubting Prophets past and present makes me feel guilty. And when the guilt I feel pushes me to the brink of feeling frustrated and feeling not worthy~

I get on my knees in prayer and talk to my heavenly father and pour out my frustrations.

And every single time I am comforted with peace and I know that the only thing that really and truly matters is:

•my personal relationship with God
• Am I striving to be a better person that is non-judgmental, understanding, compassionate, honest, and self-less?

I think in these modern days the ability to discern is much more challenging in matters of state and religion.

So I will continue on the journey of my conversion and strive towards receiving my recommend, Because I really do love this religion and I see a lot of good in it, but this time I will put more focus on my personal relationship with God rather than in the mortal beings who are just as imperfect as me.

Janie said...

I am not sure who you are, but I have immensely appreciated your comments here.

My short answer now is that I don't know where I am at in regards to "The Church" but I feel more connected to the Gospel - if that makes sense?

I think there are some very serious issues going on - I take that back I KNOW there are things of great concern, and I am going to have to figure out where I stand - part of me wants to share that here and part of me doesn't.

But in the meantime - I am glad you are here - I love long time stalkers.

J8j619 said...

You may remember me as Jazmin Harvie
Now I'm Jazmin Fleetwood
:-)

I've been "stalking" (lol) because the person you remember is not the same person I am today. When I reflect back on my Cape Henry Ward days I hang my head in shame and in embarrassment.

If I lived in Texas, I would be saying this in person:

I'm sorry for not being as good a friend as you were to me and I'm sorry if I ever hurt your feelings or treated you badly. I hope that you can forgive me and we can be friends again-albeit from a distance.

~Jaz

Joni K. Martin said...

Janie, my love, we're on such a parallel path... I love you!!