Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent Revisited



I have changed the way I make my homemade laundry detergent:
- I switched to powder (easier to make)
-I switched to white zote - gentler on skin and after using fels naptha for a LOOONG time I did notice it slightly yellowing our whites.

so here are my new super easy instructions for making your own laundry detergent for less than 2 cents a load.

1 bar of zote - .89 cents ( I got this at Albertsons)
1.5 cups of borax (about 3.99 - 4.50 a box - you can buy almost anywhere)
1.5 cups of washing soda -NOT baking soda (I buy at Kroger or Ace Hardware)

If you prefer fels naptha laundry bar soap you can get all ingredients at the Kroger on Custer



roughly dice the Zote


Run zote alone through food processor until its well processed - almost a minute in my food processor - you could possibly use a blender

Measure out 1.5 cups of borax


and 1.5 cups of washing soda (I do this on a paper towel because they both tend to be clumpy, and the excess that falls out I can easily lift up with the towel)

add both to processor and blend well for about a minute again and pulse a few times to insure its mixed evenly.

Pour in container and you're done!!!
I use 2 tablespoons per HUGE load in my high capacity top loader.
This mix is safe for HE washers and baby's skin (Mr. PJ can agree)
and I use cold water only on all loads except my whites and it works fine


here is a video so you can see the texture of the finished product. You can hear the food processor making the next batch in the background (it is loud - especially when you do the zote bar)
I make three-four batches at a time.

** wash all kitchen utensils well (in dishwasher) after.

No comments: