Monday, July 23, 2012

Are you paying more than 75 cents for a loaf of bread?


The Mrs. Bairds bread store (811 N. McDonald street - through downtown McKinney and left on McDonald, or down 380 and right) is one of my favorite places for saving money.
I buy wheat bread for 75 cents a loaf. Stock changes but you can buy almost any kind of bread. They carry Mrs. Bairds, Thomas, Orrrowheat, and a few store brands. Its not actually "day old" its just whenever the delivery trucks change out stock at local stores - I have found all of the bread to be very fresh. I freeze the dozen or so loaves I purchase. With a frostless freezer we can't ever tell its been frozen.
I also buy tortillas and english muffins for 80 cents a package. I almost always get 3-4 free items off the free rack and I then get hamburger buns that I make into garlic bread with butter and garlic powder, broiled.
I only get other extras if the price is right. I got the muffins today because they were 55 cents for a box of 5. I figured I can't make anything from scratch at that price and they can be a school lunch snack.

this haul was $24 total

this is how it all fits in my freezer.

My grocery shopping route is big lots, bread store, sams club, walmart with flyers to price match and finally the egg farm as previously posted about. I aim for one big shopping trip per month with short runs for fresh items as needed.

ps. Wednesdays are 10% off everything. But sometimes stock can be low.

And they give you a card to fill up and when you do you get two free fresh items.

No comments: