Monday, July 23, 2012

Holy Science Fair Batman


Some are afraid to participate in our awesome food deals because they are afraid of wasting the food. As far as the chicken orders and the like, get a freezer - you will not regret it (but that is a post for another day). Or split with a friend. For fresh foods like Bountiful Baskets there are a few tricks. Now this post will continue strictly from my stream of conscience. So if something is wrong or there or more tips to suggest PLEASE comment. I am not taking the time today to fact check ...

For fruits that benefit from not touching each other (I find pears and avocados to be two of those prissy foods) the drink holder do-hickies are PERFECT. They keep them dry and from touching. I keep mine out until they are ripe as I like them then move them to the fridge until consumed. I have made avocados last three times as long with this method. Holy Guacamole Batman. Seriously guacamole is manna from heaven. But I digress




For other fruits - The fabulous Mrs. Amy introduced me to the fact that the DOLLAR TREE is now selling those nifty TV infomercial veggie bags. I admit I am skeptical of new things. Because if the way I am doing it works why change...

I had read in my Tightwad Gazette ages ago that bananas kept better in a bag and I had started just using the actual bag from the grocery store. It did extend the life of the fruit. But then again we inhale bananas around here...

So I decided to do a little science experiment. My hypothesis was that the exposed bananas would ripen the fastest and that the bananas in the store bag and fancy green bag would ripen at a similar pace.

I was... wrong....

The fancy green bag whopped up on the store bag. So for the price you should totally think about using these bags. Especially if you don't have family of seven that descend like locusts on the food in your house.

I imagine with judicious use of these bags (keep them closed, I used a clip) you could make any produce from you bountiful basket last two weeks and more if you wanted!!

They are called Always Fresh Store-its, from DOLLAR TREE - for $1 you get 10 bags (5 large and 5 medium) - and they are reusable!

DAY ONE


DAY SIX:

and... DAY TEN

(look at that a banana disappeared even though I threatened everyone's life)


So conclusion:
The store bag did help extend the life of the banana, but the green bags WON, barely a spot on them. I will keep them in the bag and let you know when they finally give in.. If I can keep little hands away from them.


PS. I did open the bags every day to simulate actual usage.



No comments: