Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Benjamin




My baby is nine years old today!!

He got nine dollars this morning - Ella was seething with jealousy.  It made me chuckle.
She has been up in arms since he got a bank account when he turned eight.  I like building up the tension for her. She is going to be so excited when she gets her own bank account.

We decided to give him some cold hard cash because he will open his gifts at his party on Saturday and because I am so proud of him handling his own money.  Tithing is still a little tough because he thinks he should just do that every once in while. When I asked him how much tithing you pay for nine dollars - he said "no mom I already paid tithing on the money grandma sent!"

He never hesitates to go to the bank though. I love waiting behind him in line - it makes me proud (He really likes to go inside) - First they have lollipops - that's always cool. Then at Texans Credit Union kids get a saver card that gets punched every time they make a deposit - when its full they get a trinket. He is totally excited about his almost full card.  And then when his statements come he is thrilled (he loves getting mail). I have tried to teach him all about compound interest. On his last statement he finally earned dividends. It was only 2 cents - but I got very excited for him - telling him how cool it was that he EARNED money by doing nothing but letting his money stay in the bank. He said "Wow I am totally inspired now" I laughed out loud - he actually used the word inspired.

Nine things I love about Benjamin:
1. He is full of love - he loves his sisters very much and hugs them as much as he bugs them. He adores Cora and I rarely have to get her out of the crib because he is right there at her side in the mornings.
2. He is very smart 
3. He tells me all about his dreams and nightmares in enthusiastic details.
4. He tells me EVERYTHING I cook is the best he has ever had.
5. He has a contagious laugh - its like a deep giggle
6. He is all boy - its all about warriors, star wars, weapons, grossness, etc.
7. He still pretend "fights" with imaginary foes all over the house
8. He has a very spiritual side when he is calm enough to let it show. He asks very thoughtful questions about the Scriptures and the Plan of Salvation.
9. He still cuddles --  shhhhhhh don't tell anyone - that's so not cool when you are nine. 

2 comments:

Kleanteeth said...

The bank account is a good idea. One of these days I should do that. I then might have to do allowance and such. My kids' concept of money is shaky.

Abby said...

I remember when he was so little! Happy birthday Big Guy!