Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Irritations


I'm having a frustrated night so I left my warm bed to blog. 
  • Kyle starts his new job tomorrow. It is bittersweet. Not that it has been anything but very stressful to be unemployed but it was nice having him home.  It stinks that he will have to leave for a longer commute for significantly less money. But I am grateful, especially that we will have benefits again. How wonderful it has been that not a one of us has been sick. (knocking hard on wood)
  • I helped in Nursery this Sunday and last. And I want to make a memo to the world. Parents for the love of pete, drop off your kids and leave. Staying for a short period of time only delays the inevitable. Then when you do have to leave and all the other crying ones have calmed down your newly upset one starts the cycle again. Staying the whole time does nothing to help them progress. They get to have their cake and eat it too, and it makes the nursery leaders uncomfortable the whole time you are there. Its already hard to act appropriately goofy and cheery for the kids and sing A cappella, its doubly difficult with a parental audience. And once you do leave, don't come back and stick your head in the door. It upsets the whole cycle of potential calmness. If you see them crying it does not mean they have been crying the whole time or that they are not seconds away from calming down. If you can't take it, knock on the little window and let the leader bring them to you. Storming in and swooping them up just solidifies their feelings that they need to be rescued. Letting the leader bring them to you shows them that their teacher is not mean and will get them to mom or dad when absolutely necessary. Oh and if someone is not constantly holding or attempting to calm your child while they are freaking out, its not because they are being cold to your child, it just may be the best way to soothe them. Sometimes attempting to comfort makes them more upset. A child left alone to observe and become interested on their own terms is usually a much happier nursery goer.
  • While I am on a tangent. I'll visit the mother's room. First off we need at least two more chairs in there.  I am very comfortable with breastfeeding my baby. Everywhere it seems except at church. You would think the mother's room would be a very accepting place but it usually seems the opposite to me. I don't understand why the majority of women in there take all measures to stay covered up. Because of my build (aka fat) its hard to get Cora latched on and stay covered. I think I am much more modest if I don't even attempt to cover. In the coit building the chairs swiveled, so I would swivel toward the wall get the latch then spin back around. Here they don't swivel so Cora and I are right up next to the other mother doing our thing out in the open (or sitting on the floor on crowded days) This would not bother me in the slightest anywhere else. I nurse in public ALL THE TIME, but for some reason at church I want to go out to my car.
  • Now to my cute little boy. Oh Benjamin, I am not sure how to mother you at this stage. You have become quite obnoxious, I love you deeply but you are driving me crazy. Did you guys read about the woman who let her nine year old ride the subway alone? She is my HERO. I think a lot about how much better off Benjamin would be in a less overprotective world. It is time for him to be riding his bike all over the neighborhood. He needs more exercise, less time in front of a computer screen, tv, video game. He needs more exploring. It should be a "don't come in till its dinner time or the street lights come on" stage. But anxiety gets in my way. And its not really anxiety about what might happen to him, but what other mothers will think of me. I pride myself on not being overprotective. I think my kids are well adjusted because I am not. But I am stuck in a damned if I do, damned if I don't cycle with my son. We all know video games are not good for kids - but we also shouldn't let our kids outside unsupervised. So what should I do? Not cook dinner everyday and instead watch him ride is bike up and down the sidewalk in front of our house? Real fun for both of us...not. So I don't know what to do, but I did read this article, which basically said this: Everything we found associated with video games came out negative... So tomorrow I am going to box up all video game stuff and debate about selling it, When Benjamin comes home from school I am going to send him out to ride his bike and maybe even go down to the park, on his own. Don't judge me too harshly


I'll leave you with a quote from that article in case you don't have the time to follow my links: 

"The problem with this everything-is-dangerous outlook is that over-protectiveness is a danger in and of itself. A child who thinks he can't do anything on his own eventually can't."

12 comments:

Ryann said...

I so agree-drop the kids and go! I never lingered-made for a nice clean break.

And as for the nursing-you got it right on! Although, I never made an attempt ever to cover up. You came in the room with me and you saw it all. Why else would I go to the nursing room? Otherwise, I would have just stayed in the classes with a cover up. And they NEVER have enough chairs in there!

I love your frustration posts! Tell it like it is Janie!

My name is Andrea said...

Maybe because Benjamin is your oldest, it is a little harder...I remember those days of being unsure if they should be outside by themselves. I still don't allow them out of the yard alone, but if Liza and Parker are together, I have a radius of where they can go. I let them go to Baker to the playground with some other kids they other day for an hour. But they are outside ALL THE TIME. We have been blessed with some good little friends as our next and next next door neighbors.

The one thing I hate about working in nursery is the parents. I'm a drop and go parent myself, and only one of my kids ever had any difficulty. And it was because we went to my mom's nursery and a kid she didn't know hit her. Next week she cried when I dropped her off...oh well...she obviously adjusted just fine! :o)

I could never nurse in that room either.

You are so awesome, I love to read your blog, I can hear you talking. Love ya!

Juli said...

Amen! I love a girl that can say what she means ands means what she says... or something:)

Abby said...

I covered up initially in the mother's room when I had my first baby, because I thought that's what you had to do to be decent. Then I saw all the other mothers not even bothering so I let it go. They didn't care, so I didn't care either. Then I moved to our ward now and man, do they care! I'm the only one in there flashing away. I still don't care, but you'd think the others would lighten up after a while, especially the ones with more than one kid under their belt. It's weird.

Sarah said...

amen, amen, amen, and amen!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about "protocol" on the nursing thing, but doesn't the term "mother's room" kind of imply that's what it's for? And the nursery thing used to bug me too when I did it at church a few years ago. As for the video games, I am not sure I would sell them. I would consider keeping them for rainy days, etc. but then I am sure you could think of other things. Point is, if they don't play them at home with your supervision, they would probably be playing them somewhere else. And yes, it is very hard to NOT be protective!! No matter how old your "little boys" are!! Ha! Just thoughts from a nana.

Kleanteeth said...

I'm not one for whipping the boob out anywhere and I'm a little uncomfortable in the mother's room when people do, but I get over it. Haven't been there in a while,though, so maybe I forgot. Stats show that kids are actually safer nowadays, parents just don't know it. I do have a hard time letting mine play in the front yard, I admit. Especially after the druggy guy who knocked out a few mailboxes and fence sections on our street a few months back. Parenting is hard and kids do obnoxious things. Better to hear it from you than classmates.

Janie said...

yeah kyle probably won't let me sell them nana, but... I warned him when he got the wii that I'd be wanting to sell it in no time. Saving it for limited times means Benjamin bugs me NON-STOP about it. Sucks that since my new big plan it has been rainy and yucky here

Janie said...

Kristi, I don't think I flash anyone when I am nursing except for Cora maybe...

Gary Church said...

Okay, I'm laughing right now because I had a totally different view when I was a nursery worker. Gary and I were nursery workers for a year ... way back when. We didn't have kids yet, and it was a challenge for us.

However, I remember being irritated for the opposite reason. There always seemed to be that one kid who would cry until they barfed ... and that kid's mom was always the mom who dropped and left. We were so short staffed in the nursery and that one (or two) kids took up one worker all to themselves. We actually started asking the parents of {problem} children to stay because it was a joke. And then, we'd put that parent to good use while we had them there. Nursery teachers can always use another hand.

Some kids get over their fears, and other kids' fears only worsen. Only the parent really knows which category their kid falls into. Nursery shouldn't be a traumatic time for these little guys.

Consequently, we've been known to stay with Ryan a couple times when he's having a weird day. It's usually the days following a night of bad dreams, so we know that he's a little more vulnerable and traumatized than usual.

You just never know what the kid is really going through. So, if you happen to see me pulling Ryan from nursery because he just can't calm down ... don't hate me. :D He most likely had a horrible night of bad dreams the night before. And I'm just trying to practice a little 'Love & Logic' to help him through it. :D

Gary Church said...

Oh, and I wouldn't know the first thing about the mom's lounge ... since I have gimpy boobs that don't work. Maybe I should come take up a seat {and make you sit on the floor} while I feed my kid her bottle. I can't believe you were sitting on the FLOOR!! In a dress!!

Gary Church said...

Oh. And I am one of those paranoid mom types. Only because my very best friend in elementary school was abducted from her front yard ... and never seen again. Sorry. Not trying to freak you out. Just lettin' you know why I'm over-protective. :D