Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I need those clementine boxes for

I am trying to get better organized and further avoid the hoarding tendencies I have inherited from my loving family.
so here a few bad pictures of some projects I have taken on and continue to work on:
I went through every cabinet in my kitchen determined to purge stuff that rarely (read never) gets used. At the same time I tried to organize my kitchen like "everyday food storage" gal does because I thought her tips were brilliant (I have technically heard of all of them before- but something about watching her tips in video format made them brilliant) Check her out here:
everdayfoodstorage.net
Cups, oh the cups - Cjane says the hardest thing about motherhood is the shoes, I would add cups to that. No matter how many times I told my kids to reuse their cup for the day, They would head right back to get a new one every time thirst struck. I think one of the best features of my kitchen is the water in the door so that they can help themselves - but when the day came that I ran a dishwasher full of only cups (yes you read that right) I said it had to stop! The new system is color coded cups. Benjamin is green, Ella is blue, and Maiya is pink and there are a few white ones for guests.  Everyone has a #1 cup, you can only go to your #2 cup if #1 is in the dishwasher - if its not rinse it out and use it again!
I have all three girls clothes in one closet (so far) this tends to cause major confusion (like Kyle dressing Maiya in Ella's clothes) So I made these divider hangers. I have upgraded the prototype because now I attach the size thing to the topside of the hanger (I was just too lazy to go take another picture). I just printed them off the computer and laminated them with those one sheet laminate things and attached with cable ties.

Now this is the last but probably my favorite project. I have wanted Shelf reliance shelves for like ever. But then I found this blog post on giveldsgifts.com which directed me to The pantry panel where I fell in love with someone's engineer grandfather for making such detailed plans.
Anyway want to make your own? Here are the instructions for Can food rotating bins.
Which leads me to the clementine boxes. The beauty of these bins is that they are made from cardboard and white glue (can you believe it?? cardboard and white glue - brilliant, once again) It uses just one triangle section of wood to brace the slope inside. Those wood corners of the clementine boxes are just perfect and they save Kyle time on cutting the angles on wood. That was the longest part of the project he says. I am begging him to make me 9 more so he needs all the help he can get. I still think shelf reliance shelves are awesome but I can honestly say so far I like these better. Yes they don't look as fancy, but I don't care about that at all. And with these I can move them around as I please. There are instructions to make them for soup cans, veggie cans, and big fruit cans. Despite their humble building supplies they have held up to all the abuse I have thrown at them, and trust me I've tried. Thought I'd see if they will last before I get Kyle to make 9 more.
--the dent on the front is my fault and I did it to the cardboard before construction - the cans didn't cause it.
PS. I painted the finished ones with leftover paint from our bathroom project.

one last thing:
Prosper Penny Pinchers is making a comeback Feb. 10th 7:00 at my house!!!!(Fourth ward pinchers are invited.) Maybe if I can convince Kyle he loves me tons -  he will cut supplies for everyone to make their own can rotators

4 comments:

Give LDS Gifts said...

That's awesome you have your cardboard can rotators made! Mine are still in pieces. :) We are waiting on the wood pieces to be done, which is scheduled for later this week. I'm so excited that they have worked so well for you!

If you run out of your bathroom paint, you can get "oops" paint deeply discounted at hardware stores. I bought some for just $1 instead of $8 regular price.

Thanks for the link!

Shannon said...

Hello! I was just pointed to your blog and wanted to let you know that I would love to send you a Shelf Reliance Cansolidator. I work at Shelf and we're always looking for people to send samples in exchange for reviews. If you have any interest in receiving a Cansolidator, please send me an email (Shannon@shelfreliance.com) and I can give you some additional details.

In the meantime, good luck with all of your organization endeavors! I think we all get to the point where "it" becomes too much to handle...and it looks like you've done a great job of making sure this doesn't happen to you.

Sarah said...

you know your my hero right?

The A Team said...

sweet!! i'm there. i need more pointers.