Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's going on here...

Disney was awesome:
We stayed at the All-Star Music Resort in a family suite, It was a little more trailer trash crowd than I would have expected but our room was PERFECT for us, and the kids loved the guitar pool. We had a seven day pass for all four parks, we did not do water park and more. We had the Disney dining plan - thank goodness. We could not have afforded to eat otherwise. Think movie theater food prices for everything. Our average fast food meal was $75.00 and a sit down place was $150-240 per meal. We did not rent a car, we took the Disney express from and back to the airport, and we used the Disney transport buses to the parks. I was nervous about that, but it was just right for us the whole week and I never felt like we even needed a car.
As far as what age to take your kids - I think we hit a perfect time. Maiya was old enough to enjoy what she was experiencing. Cora was young enough to be carried in the Snugli on just about every ride except the coasters. Benjamin was young enough to still want to stand by the characters for pictures but too cool for school to stop and hug them too much! He loved the roller coasters! Ella (just at 40 inches) could do every ride except one. And she loved them all! We won't be a family that makes Disney something we have to do every year (not that we could if we wanted) But I am very glad we did experience it!
Highlights:
Cora sleeping through the night
Benjamin and Ella screaming on Space Mountain "THIS IS AWESOME"
Maiya seeing all the characters! - She loved them ALL
Ella conquering Haunted Mansion
Holding hands with Kyle and riding a roller coaster together.
Meg and I laughing our heads off at the most random things - being truly exhausted will do that to us!
Frustrations:
The heat of course!
Cora's stroller fans that kept breaking
Thousands of lazy people in scooters that weren't really disabled, getting in our way, slowing down the bus line, and just about running us over!
Benjamin not being able to conquer Haunted Mansion, poor boy just couldn't do it - a loving dad sat it out with him.
My tips:
have good stroller fans!
Bandanna around the neck for me, the one who sweats a lot - it saved me!
tie a jacket around your waist, because no matter how hot you are you will be that cold in the A/C of the restaurants and rides.
Character meals beat waiting in line to meet characters.
Bring a photo matting frame for the characters to sign - way cooler than the cheezy Disney autograph book.
Be there when the park opens - you will get to do all the big rides with no lines.
Leave before the park closes, if like me, you hate fighting crowds. When you stay for the fireworks, just park it on a bench till the crowds pass!
Make the most of parent swap passes and fastpass - neither expire (well the fastpasses do, but they honor all expired ones anyway)
Use this website: http://tourguidemike.com/ - it made our vacation wonderful! Thanks to Kyle who did all the research and planned our days out perfectly. He made it magical! Meg and I called him "fastpass man" all week. As Meg put it "I don't question. I just go where he tells us to go" We NEVER waited more than 15 minutes in line for a ride!
Now back to life here:
Kyle's office is closed, the job loss is looming ever bigger and closer.
He will be working from home until October 3rd. He is also working very hard at the worst job there is -- finding a job. Please keep us in your prayers.
Having him home is good but is does mess up my blogging time! LOL


Cora went to her 2 month check-up today, here are the stats:

15 lbs. 9 oz.

16.5 head circumference

23 (and something - I didn't pay attention well) inches long

I love my fat & happy baby!

10 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad that you went and that you enjoyed it! You guys needed and deserved it right now. We will be praying for you, please let me know if there is anything you need...

I love fat happy babies, all of mine were! Cora is adorable! Tell Maiya HI!!!!!

Ryann said...

When we went 8 years ago, we stayed at the all star sports resort. I didn't think it was that trashy but then again we were like newlyweds and didn't notice much else (plus he had his super hot I just got out of OCS body-yummy).

And I"m shocked that Ella rode the rides. We were just looking at pictures of Sesame Place and Ella freaked out and refused to ride the (tiny) roller coaster and Em was so proud that at a year younger she was not afraid. What a difference a year makes!

With that in mind, just think of all of the changes that have happened to you in this last year. I know that Kyle's job loss is looming large but hopefully in a year, you'll look back and see that this was the low point of what turns out to be a year full of blessings and unexpected surprises. My fingers are crossed and you all are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Try Cisco Systems for jobs in IT/programming or sales fields.

Janie said...

Thanks anon for the tip, Kyle has been trying and keeping tabs at Cisco - let us know if you have any inside contacts. The pediatrician today is going to talk to his sister for us who works there!

And Ryann, Ella was whiny at first for just about everything, but we just forced her and she loved it - she was clingy to Mom though!

Bethanne said...

Okay, I am SO going to copy and paste your instructions because we are planning our first ever trip in June. :) SO Fun!

Unknown said...

What a great post. I love all of the tips. Sounds like you all had a ball.

Beth said...

I am so glad you had a great trip! Family vacations are so fun! Thanks for the tips, maybe someday I'll use them!

Anonymous said...

Continued luck to Kyle in his job search.

It looks like you may be nursing a future starting center in the WNBA. ;)

~ Tony

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great time!!!! Research sounds like the way to go to Disney:)

Cora was like 3 lbs more at her 2 mo. than L was! I guess you make very yummy cream! She is ADORABLE!

Kleanteeth said...

Forget WNBA, she's going NFL. They thin out though. Shawn was sumo baby, but once he started running around, it melted. So cute thought, I couldn't stop squeezing him. Like one of the stress balls with flour in it. Glad you had a great time. Definitely worth it to go while school is in session. Hope Kyle finds a job.