Friday, September 26, 2008

My heart...


“I wish to say to everyone here, come to the temple. Live worthy to come to the temple. Live the commandments of God so that you may come to the temple. Do those things which will make you eligible to serve in the house of the Lord. It has been built for you, my brothers and sisters, that you might have the opportunity of coming here and receiving the wonderful blessings that can be had nowhere else in all the world, except in other temples, where you may be sealed together as husband and wife, where your children may be sealed to you, where you may work in behalf of your forebears, who have gone beyond. That great and marvelous and wonderfully unselfish work occurs in the house of the Lord. Come to the temple”

Gordon B. Hinckley

my blessings
me and my baby sister

nana

grandma

aunt beth
uncle tommy - still being the best uncle, just from heaven


When we found out Kyle was getting laid off I had many concerns but the biggest was would I be able to control my anxiety and attitude during the job hunt. This may come as a surprise (wink) but I can be the freaking out/nagging sort of wife. If really stressed out I have been known to wake Kyle up in the middle of the night to either boss him around or cry on his shoulder.

But you know what - with a renewed energy for prayer, alone and as a family - I have been calm and very optimistic. Even with all the scary news regarding the economy - I have felt safe and confident about our future. Like I try to tell the kids, the Holy Ghost is amazing. When you need comfort he is there. I have needed comfort and he is here.

Today Kyle and I are going to the Temple. It has been too long. Since talking is one of my best attributes I do it too much. I need to be someplace to listen. My heart longs for a quiet moment in the Celestial room. Things that will be on my mind there tonight:

-Prayers for continued confidence for Kyle
-Thankfulness for everything I have. I really am living my dream - how many people can say that?
-Thankfulness for my babies - I love them so. And despite earlier arguments I don't think I am done. I won't be ready to have a baby again for some time - but I can ponder this tonight.
-Sorrow and hope for my baby sister. She did not get accepted to the Nursing school she wanted to go to. She worked so hard. I want her to be proud of that right now.
-Gratitude for my mother-in-law. Its hard to go to the temple and not think of the first time you did. When Kyle and I went to to the temple, she came with us. It meant a lot to us to know she was there supporting us from the Visitor's center, even though she is of a different faith. It was a palpable support we still feel.
-Thoughts of Mom who is still struggling from the effects of her cancer treatment. Thankfulness that said treatment has been successful. Smiles that she was able to be here with my new baby and teach my kids really important things - like how to make dumplings :)
-Thoughts of Aunt Beth who is currently struggling with cancer treatment. Hope that the rest goes quickly and without incident.
-Missing my brother Tommy. I have felt very close to him when holding Cora. He LOVED babies. I know that the veil is thin between her and him right now. I can feel it. She spent time with him before coming to me. She tells me this with her eyes. His exuberance went with him to the spirit world. The limited intelligence that he had in this life did not. His confidence and the trials he went through are making him a wonderful missionary to those who need it right now. I know that too. I'll sit and be proud of him tonight.
-Thoughts of my dad, heavy thoughts that I will keep in my heart for now.
I wish you could all be there with me pondering too. Interested? go here

4 comments:

Sarah said...

thank you for sharing your testimony today and reminding me of all the things that i have to be grateful for :D love you tons!!

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing such personal, tender, feelings:)
I want to get to the Temple soon ....But I have such a hard time leaving my baby when he is still so little for a long time:( I need to have Steve try a bottle with him again to make sure he will still take one! He has only had 2 bottles and they were at about 5-6 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Janie, this really touched my heart!! Thank you for sharing it all. You know I will always support you and be there for you no matter what. You are very special to me -- I have always said God gave me the daughter I always wanted when Kyle brought you home and married you!! I have been blessed more than you know by having you in my life!

I am sorry to hear about Meg -- obviously there are better things in store for her, she just needs to either try again or try another path. I know when she finds the right one, she will be terrific at whatever it is!!

Love to you all -- "Me"

My name is Andrea said...

Oh Janie, I love you! I was reminded with this post of the calm I felt from the Holy Ghost when we went through the same thing 3 years ago...because of that I felt calm about the future, and though our prayers were not answered right away and it happened slower than we would have liked, it was the road that led us here...and the temple has played an important part in that since then, when we made it a priority. You will be in our prayers, and I hope that you find the peace you are longing for right now.