Friday, August 14, 2009

I think I can, I think I can

get it? canning? get it?

I know its not that funny, but I did can some more peaches today...

I have got the food storage fever - I always put off really organizing and planning out our storage better - Even though my Aunt Beth always said I had enough food in the house to feed an army - I really didn't and there was not a concentrated effort toward food storage. But a few things have happened:

1. the obvious - Kyle got laid off and it scared the HELL out of me - I refuse to be unprepared again. - If you were uber impressed by Janette's blog stating the same sentiment, with pictures of her gobs and gobs of canned goodies - I feel the same and she is a total inspiration!!!

2. I thought it would cost more to actually get "food storage" but thanks to all I've learned from friends and the wonderful world of blogging I can see its so much cheaper to stock up when prices go down. - These peaches for example were .39 a pound.

3. Our budget and "spend with cash" system has actually given me more freedom to plunge into buying MORE food storage - I have money earmarked each paycheck (not much either -about 20-30 dollars to double up on things - and its SAVING us money!!

Now if Aldi's would just come to North Dallas already I would be a happy, happy girl!!! I honestly daydream about that grocery store - seriously its sad. Having done a price list for a while now I obsess about rock bottom prices - this store would be a dream come true!!


blanching

Photobucket
future goals:
  • converting an upstairs closet for food storage with an awesome system in it - like shelf reliance
  • canning with a pressure cooker
  • making my own salsa and tomato sauce/ spaghetti sauce -- do I dare?
  • canning something I grew
sidenote update -- my hanging garden worked out just fine. My squash took off, except I am an idiot and only had one squash plant so it couldn't cross pollinate so nothing ever came from its pretty flowers. The tomatoes did ok but I got lazy and unmotivated because of the lost squash and didnt' water enough.
I do want to garden but I think I save more by buying produce in bulk when on sale than spending lots on gardening.


peach butt

here is some video of Cora saying hello on the phone...


2 comments:

Sarah said...

cora, cora, cora-- what a ham!!! the rager's were laughing their heads of watching that :D

Gary Church said...

Good for you, Janie!! I love your white peaches! Beautiful!!