Tuesday, January 31, 2006

New Traditions



Well today was Ella's first day of preschool. Last night I told her that before bed Daddy would give her a Priesthood blessing for starting preschool (Daddy's tradition)- She immediately went to the table and pulled a chair around, sat down, and folded her arms. She seemed very proud to be getting ready for school just like her big brother had. This morning was the absolute worst weather. It was pouring cold rain and windy - not what I would have hoped for her first day. But she didn't care one bit!! When we got to the room we found her 'cubby- hole' and when I saw her name printed, laminated, and taped up I lost it inside, I choked up but held myself together. Seeing her name like that reminded me of the bassinet on wheels at the hospital where her name was taped inside. At the hospital, when they would wheel her into my room, I'd see her little face and the name printed and think "Wow I have a daughter" and the name that just a few months earlier was just an idea was now officially someone's name. Now seeing it taped up again as I left her at preschool I was overwhelmed. This time instead of someone wheeling her to me, she was walking away so condfidently.
On a sidenote I must have lost a few brain cells in the whole process because I stood up someone that I agreed to babysit for I just completely forgot, had it on the calendar, talked to Kyle about it last night, but come this morning nothing - just left my mind, scary- by time I got a hold of her she was home and had cancelled the appointment. I felt like such a jerk!! If you're reading this: SORRY again Beth.
Well Ella is home now, and she had a blast!! She said it was great and they had a puppet show and she made a puppet, in fact she hasn't stopped talking. So now its time for my tradition, First day of school cookies:)

5 comments:

Ryann said...

She does look so grown up! I was thinking how fun it will be when we spend that week in Va beach in March, but now you will only have the baby with you. Emi will be sad to miss her friends! We'll definitely have to play in the afternoon!

Kleanteeth said...

Come one now, pull it together, it's just pre-school. Deep breaths, hee-hee-hoo, hee-hee-hoo.

Mama Spud said...

Wait until your youngest starts kindergarten, and then your oldest graduates from high school. My youngest is now going to be graduating from elementary school...do you want to talk tears?

Anonymous said...

Preschool, Kindergarten, first grade, middle school, high school, college, marriage -- all events designed to make mothers cry! Not to mention first tooth, first step, first word, etc. Believe me, been there done that! I think that's why God gave us tear ducts!

By the way, she looked adorable!!

Beth said...

Don't worry about it, Janie! It was just the eye doctor, it can wait another month. Besides, it sounds like you were having a rough day!