Tuesday, August 31, 2010

inquiring minds want to know...


my view at the Mesquite Rodeo. straps of flip flop screaming for dear life.



FAQ's as of late:

Have you had that baby yet? - No. I promise I would tell you if I had.

When exactly are you due? - I swore I would lie when the time came. My plan all along was to stick with "mid-September" but alas I have cracked. I am officially due September 8th. Estimated due date according to 21 week ultrasound September 10th. I am 39 weeks pregnant since last menstrual period as of tomorrow. There, you have specific info.
My only labor thus far not screwed with by impatience, doctors, and pitocin was Ella and I was seven days past my due date.

Have they given you a day/date yet? This one cracks me up and I get it all the time. Some people get the "I am having a homebirth" response. Some people I don't feel like getting into it. I am not being induced - like almost 80% of women are nowadays (so sad, no wonder our C-section rates are 1 in 3 women) I am going with Nature, and no Nature has not given me a date yet. Are you pregnant? Say NO to induction.

Are you dilated? Well lets discuss my cervix why don't we... Moms, sisters and best friends totally ok but random folks who ask about my dilation - hysterical!
My midwife has not checked my dilation - and probably won't. Even though OB/GYN's do tons of vaginal exams starting in the last six weeks of pregnancy - there is really no merit to them. You can be a 'stretchy' four centimeters and not go into labor for weeks (I speak from personal experience) and you can be 0 centimeters and have a baby in a few hours (I do not speak from experience on this one) Checking for dilation just introduces unnecessary germs, and could speed up the start of labor before its time - and if baby is not in the right location: Hello, back labor. So we once again wait for Nature... and if I am in active labor, she may check she may not.... Because the beauty of a midwife and a med free labor is you can push when you feel like pushing. No one needs to know how 'dilated' you are. Some patients of midwives have had their baby without a single vaginal exam.

Are you going to make the school cut off? After four kids, I decided pretty much as soon as I looked up my due date - that I wasn't going to be concerned about birthing before the magical Sep. 1st deadline. I don't need this little one to start school days after he turns five. If I had delivered August 10th - I would still red-shirt him for his first eligible year of kindergarten. An extra year to get ready is a good thing.

Still going with the chosen name? Yes. Parker it is... PJ hasn't quite stuck with anyone but me. Funny thing is Kyle stopped using Parker or PJ the day we officially picked the name. To him unborn son went back to being called just "baby".

Are you going crazy? People really don't ask this too much.. but I pass the days distracting myself with youtube birth videos. This one is my favorite and very inspiring to me:
love her Australian accent.





When I am tired of those, I watch Killers videos... because Brandon Flowers is dreamy:

did you know he is a church member?

5 comments:

Molly said...

Well said! I hated all the comments. You will find someone will ask you within two days of Parker's birth, so, are you going to have any more? PLEASE! Is it any of their business? I hope all goes well. I'll be interested to hear how you feel homebirth vs. hospital.
Molly

Amanda said...

I totally agree with you on all the birth stuff...but u probably already knew that;) And I totally agree with u on the school cut off too;) And I understand about the not cleaning up fast food at ur house thing....I feel that way too but at this point I get to relax more at home;)

Kleanteeth said...

My feet totally looked like cream puffs and forget cankles, it was puffy all the way up. I think you're brave/crazy for the water/home birth deal. I, personally love my drugs, love my inductions, love picking a birthdate, etc. Can you see me sitting in a pool of vag liquids, blood, and guts, heck no. I can't even touch the kid until they wipe them up, my doc got in trouble last time for just plopping the slimy sucker on my belly. When it comes down to it, I would be scared. Lots of pain, chances of complications, a mess, and did I mention pain. I hope your birth is smooth, relatively tear free and a great experience for the family.

Nana to Oz said...

I loved this post!! I love the way you write! I love you and can't wait until PJ gets here, and I am praying everything goes just the way you want it to go. It's your turn!!

Lori said...

Yay Janie! You rock! If only more prego mom's could be like you! Seriously.

Oh and Brandon Flower's mom was in our stake in Las Vegas. The missionaries would talk about her all the time . . . Brandon grew up in Henderson, NV. :-) I like the Killers too.