Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Biggest loser.




Ah yes. The inspirational series the Biggest Loser. Never been a fan. Just not interested, even when some of you have suggested I try to get on the show. sigh... 

But I came across a telling piece about the show recently in the blogosphere with an interview from a previous contestant. Kai Hibbard, Season 3

So just how inspirational would the show be if it was ALL on camera?

some tricks of the Biggest Losers:

Dehumanizing the contestants

So they put us in hotel rooms and they take your key away so you can’t leave. And you spend a week locked in a hotel room and if you want to go anywhere you have to call a production assistant to take you to get groceries or get dinner or whatever you might need.  You also get loaded up in these vans with other possible contestants and you’re not allowed to speak when you’re in the van, with anybody, and then we had to go through these like doctor’s tests . . . . You get poked and prodded by complete strangers and nobody will tell you a single thing about what’s going on.  And that point was where I really believe that the dehumanization process started, where they start teaching you that because you are overweight you are sub-human and you just start to believe it. Through the whole process, they just keep telling you, over and over, how lucky you are to be there.  You’re being yelled at by people [whose] job is basically to keep the ‘fat people’ in line and you start to believe it.”


it was 6 weeks before we were allowed to get mail from home and our mail was opened and censored.  And it was 8 weeks before we were allowed to speak to anybody on the phone and it was for 5 minutes at a time with a chaperone.”


On then-host Caroline Rhea’s reaction to the blown up “before” pictures located throughout the ranch:
“She walked and she saw the photos of us that were shot deliberately to make us look as poorly as possible hanging up around the house and she lost it.  She lost it on the crew and she demanded that they take them down and that it was humiliating.  [She said that] we were people and should be treated as people.”

 after exercising in 100 degree heat without cold water being offered: Eric, from New York (won my season) lost it at that point and screamed about how we weren’t animals and to please stop treating us like animals and they handled it the way they handled us always, [they] quieted him down, and reminded him how lucky we were to be there, that it was saving his life.


Misleading you the viewer

A week is not necessarily a week: 
On the meaning of a “week” on the Biggest Loser:
“It varied.  It went from 14 days and I believe that near the end we had one week that was 5 days.”
“Unfortunately, what they’re telling you the contestants are doing and what they actually have the contestants doing are two different things, at least as far as my season goes.  We were working out anywhere between 2 and 5 hours a day, and we were working out severely injured. There’s absolutely no reason to work a 270 pound girl out so hard that she pukes the first time you bring in a gym.  That was entirely for good tv.


“I feel . . . that I have a responsibility to counteract some of the harm that that show does.  Because I took a piece of being that problem, I now own a piece of being the solution. . . . When I have people come to me crying, telling me how hard they work and how they log their food and how they’ve done everything they could and [they ask] ‘Why can’t I lose 12 pounds in a week like you?’ I feel a responsibility to get out there and go, ‘You know what?  Sue me if you want to, NBC, but I’m telling these people, I didn’t lose 12 pounds in a week. It didn’t happen.  It wasn’t a week.  And even when it looks like I lost 12 pounds in a week . . . I was so severely dehydrated that I was completely unhealthy.”


Unhealthy practices


There was a registered dietician that was supposed to be helping [the contestants at the ranch] as well . . . but every time she tried to give us advice . . . the crew or production would step in and tell us that we were not to listen to anybody except our trainers. 


“The doctor had taken our blood and tested us and sent us a solution, I don’t know exactly what it was but it was salty, so I’m assuming that our electrolytes were off.  And when the trainers found out we were taking it, they told us under no certain terms were we to be taking that, because it would make us retain water and gain weight on the scale and we’d have to go home. The doctors had ordered us to take it and the trainers were like, ‘throw it out, right now.’  


I didn’t learn how to dehydrate until I got on the ranch. It was every week.  Every single week, this is what a weigh-in would look like: the real weigh-ins were at 10 o’clock in the morning and they were on a cattle scale at the ranch and they weren’t filmed. . . . Now, mind you, it was shot in Simi Valley, so it’s a desert, so it’s hot.  And on the morning of the weigh-in you would get up and you’d put on your underwear, your spandex shorts, and you’d put on sweatpants and then you’d put on a sports bra, a tank top, a long sleeve shirt, and your sweatshirt, a ball cap, and then you’d zip up your sweatshirt, you’d put your hood on and you’d go down to the gym.  [The gym] wasn’t a real gym, it was a temporary structure just for shooting and it didn’t have any air conditioning and you’d shut all the doors and all the windows in the gym.  Then you would work out for two, two and half hours (as long as you could stand it) without any water.


“The trainers tell you.  And it was [trainer] Kim [Lyons]‘s first season, and I remember Kim having a conversation with [trainer] Bob [Harper] where she said, and she said it to her team, ‘You know, look, let’s do this the right way this season — no dehydrating, let’s just do it the healthy way.’  And Bob completely agreed to it.  Then, right before our very first weigh in, Kim came over to us and she said, ‘Guys, I’m really, really, really sorry.  I know that Bob and I agreed not to dehydrate our teams, but I’m watching Bob, and if you look right now, he’s dehydrating his team.  And if you guys don’t dehydrate, you don’t stand a chance.  You’re going to get picked off one by one and have to leave.


her life between the ranch and the finale:


So I got to a point where I was only eating about 1,000 calories a day and I was working out between 5 and 8 hours a day. . . .  And my hair started to fall out.  I was covered in bruises.  I had dark circles under my eyes.  Not to get too completely graphic, but my period stopped altogether and I was only sleeping 3 hours a night.


 . . my major food groups were water, black coffee and splenda.  I got to the point that when I was nervous or upset I was literally vomiting my food up. And at one point the scale stalled, I was stuck at 163, and my trainer and the producers all ordered me to take a free day. . . .  They said, ‘oh, you’re body needs to be shaken up.’  And I was so afraid of food at that point I went in [to the store], I bought a bag of snicker doodle cookies, and a quart of milk, and a box of ex lax and I ate them all together.  And I knew that I was in trouble. And it was at this point that I was like, ‘Hey, where are those doctors and that psychologist that are supposed to be following up and keeping an eye on me that I kept hearing about?’”


“It gave me a really fun eating disorder that I battle every day, and it also messed up my mental body image because the lighter I got during that T.V. show, the more I hated my body.  And I tell you what, at 144 and at 262 and at 280, I had never hated my body before that show.


Kai on the fantasy of being thin:

“They said that they were very surprised by me as a contestant because, if you watch from the beginning of the season to the end, my personality doesn’t change at all.  And my comment was, ‘Why would it?’  But I guess that 95% of the contestants start off one person and end up a different one at the end.  And it’s because they believe that being thin will make all my dreams come true. [But] your mortgage is the same if you weigh 144 or if you weigh 268.  You’re either happy with your life or you’re not.
Want an alternative?
I have been talking about this tons, but I didn't breakdown the components of Health at Every Size well enough for people to completely understand the basic premise (because I'm not saying "its so freaking awesome to be fat - join the club" - I am saying its so freaking awesome to be YOU, enjoy being YOU" 





  • Identifying Your Set-Point Weight
    Your set-point weight is:
    • The weight you maintain when you listen and respond to your body's signals of hunger and fullness.
    • The weight you maintain when you don't fixate on your weight or food habits.
    • The weight you keep returning to between diets.
  • How can you become Healthy at Every Size?
    HAES acknowledges that well-being and healthy habits are more important than any number on the scale. Participating is simple:
    1. Accept your size. Love and appreciate the body you have. Self-acceptance empowers you to move on and make positive changes.
    2. Trust yourself. We all have internal systems designed to keep us healthy—and at a healthy weight. Support your body in naturally finding its appropriate weight by honoring its signals of hunger, fullness, and appetite.
    3. Adopt healthy lifestyle habits. Develop and nurture connections with others and look for purpose and meaning in your life. Fulfilling your social, emotional, and spiritual needs restores food to its rightful place as a source of nourishment and pleasure.
    •    Find the joy in moving your body and becoming more physically vital in your everyday life.
    •    Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, and seek out pleasurable and satisfying foods.
    •    Tailor your tastes so that you enjoy more nutritious foods, staying mindful that there is plenty of room for less nutritious choices in the context of an overall healthy diet and lifestyle.
    4. Embrace size diversity. Humans come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Open to the beauty found across the spectrum and support others in recognizing their unique attractiveness.
  • Healthy Interaction
    The Health at Every Size movement has a strong presence online. Become a part of it :)

8 comments:

Nikki said...

We all know tv isn't reality, so of course there is going to be "magic" behind the scenes, cut/paste, staged interactions etc. Reality tv is never "reality".

If the show was a horrible as she says it was, why didn't she leave? Nobody had a gun to her head making her starve/dehydrate etc. she did that to herself, and apparently all they threatened her with was "going home". She stayed, just like all of them do, not necessarily because of potential weight loss, but because of $$. You know they all see that grand prize and they keep telling themselves "if I just keep going for one more day" or "until so and so gets kicked off" etc.

People who sign up for those types of shows cannot sit and complain about how horrible it was. They had a choice. If anything, she should be blaming herself for not having the balls to walk away when she recognized dehumanizing and unhealthy practices etc.

If nobody signed up for it, then the show would be cancelled. But the thought of a chance at getting thin and getting a lot of money is obviously too much of a temptation for people in their situations.

Janie said...

Wow that is almost as bad as the argument that women who dress a certain way or hang around with certain men deserve to be raped.

Personal agency is not in full force when someone is severely damaged psychologically from lack of body acceptance...

When they are afraid that the show will make them look like a quitter/whiner on national television. Which they creatively edit to do so...

When they are made to feel like they really will "die" of unhealth if they don't subscribe to such a program...

When they are told they don't really care about their children/husband if they don't lose weight

They don't even need the show or the money dangling - women do similar things to themselves everyday in this country.

Not to mention the folks going under the knife as I type. All in the pursuit of thin/health.

So you think she should be "blaming herself"

I think not.

As callous as it sounds I didn't write this post for the sake of the contestants who have gone through this hell, its for the sake of the folks at home that watch and think... If only I could do that... then I'd be happy.

Nikki said...

Rape? Seriously?? That is an entirely different argument in an entirely different book.

YOU are the only one who can control what is going IN to your body/how much you MOVE your body etc. People can't go around blaming their problems on others/society etc., no matter what they are. We CHOSE to allow influences in our lives, whether you want to admit that or not.

How many of those contestants go on there and do their video bio and say "Im an intuitive eater. I listen to what my body says, I eat in moderation and get exercise as I enjoy it, but I'm still overweight and unhappy with my body". The answer is NONE of them. They are always shown STUFFING themselves with insane amounts of CRAP and admitting that they do NOTHING for physical activity and that they eat crap all the time. They simply think it will be a quick fix for a problem that obviously is a psychological problem that is just visually a weight problem. Anyone who eats like that is the same as someone who does not eat at all, both have serious problems that need to be dealt with in other ways because each is using food as an outlet/control mechanism. Losing weight/gaining weight won't cure it.

Why the crap anyone would want to go on tv and have their weaknesses and self-hating issues exposed to the world is way beyond me anyway. She CHOSE to go on the show in the first place, even if she doesn't want to admit it, nobody MADE her do it. That's like saying "I got a credit card in the mail, I spent tons of money buying stuff I can't afford but it's totally the credit card company's fault I'm in debt $$$." Seriously? Blaming the world and everyone else for your problems is not an excuse. Ever.

And while we agree on a lot of points pertaining to weight, like intuitive eating for example, there are many other things that you have pointed out that my entire adult education has proven otherwise, as I can almost (10 credits shy) say that I have a BS in Health and Nutrition Science. If anyone has done research, been to lectures/seminars, written papers on both side of the spectrum, I certainly have. Just thought I'd through that out there, in case you thought I was just some "skinny" person with a skewed perspective.

Janie said...

Lets agree on something, the people on the show have psychological issues.
But is it their fault they are exposed to painful practices of the network crew and nationwide judgement?
Should the networks be allowed to exploit the mentally ill for our viewing pleasure - all the while increasing body shame when fat people across the country think "if I just log my food, made better food choices and exercised like Jillian says ... I'd be skinny" all the while the mentally ill folks on the ranch are dehydrating their bodies, and one "week" is really two.
And for every educated person out there, there are many more who are uneducated and this type of program enforces untrue stereotypes. How many people watch this show and think how disgusting fat people are and how they could all just be skinny if only they tried a little.
I realize this show deals in extremes, fat people with extreme behavior. They and the diet industry that supports the show benefit from showing the people with the worst health habits. But what the country and popular opinion take from it is that all fat people are sitting at home shoving crap in their mouths.
Then they put these people through hell, portray it as an "improved" lifestyle to the viewers. And we can sit back and judge them for how they ate before and how they should have walked out when they were abused on the show.
I don't think my rape analogy was far off. You are judging people who you think have an intact psyche - I am sympathising with damaged individuals preyed on by TV producers for financial gain.
Maybe a better analogy would be a battered wife - I mean "why didn't she just leave"? She could have left, there are resources out there. Or why did she marry him in the first place. In many cases, they are conditioned psychologically and emotionally to think leaving will be worse than staying. It's all difficult to understand if you are not in their shoes.
But it comes down to this for me, I don't care if she told the dirty secrets but said she still loved the experience. I don't care if a million more people willingly show up for the same abuse. It's not the contestants I'm mad at, it's the show and the false perceptions it promotes.
I know it's wrong. And I won't be watching.

Nikki said...

Oh, I completely agree that exploiting people in any way, shape or form is wrong, for sure. And the battered wife scenario is more fitting, I think. One thing I've learned while earning my degree is that every single person/situation must be evaluated on an individual basis. Of course there are case studies that document trial and error etc., but just because something worked for 500 people doesn't mean that it will work for you or your friend or even everyone in your circle of friends. Correlation does not automatically imply causation. And for every miserable over weight person who self medicates with junk food, there are a dozen more over weight people who are doing everything right without any results. I guess the sickest thing is that there is a market for this kind of "reality" tv. But I still don't see what motivates people to want to put themselves through that sort of thing.

Janie said...

I am glad you agree, next time try to point your harsh judgement toward the industry profiting off the backs of the damaged rather than the damaged people themselves. You'll never understand why they did it because you have never lived in a scorned body with psychological weaknesses like these individuals.

Cathy said...

Ohhh Nikki... I've never met you, but I would be willing to guess that you are a thin woman who really feels that all fat people could be thin if we just did the right things. I'm a fat woman and I used to feel exactly you.. I wanted more than ANYTHING to BE you. In 1981, at the age of 23, I wanted to be you so badly that I begged.. BEGGED to have weight loss surgery. Because I was tired of people looking at me with disgust and I knew that they were thinking exactly what you think. And I just couldn't make them believe that I wasn't a slug who ate gluttonously. I went to church and every time the doors opened there was food.. but the same people were telling me that I shouldn't eat like they were eating. Talk about mixed signals. I cried every night and prayed to Heavenly Father that my children would not have the curse of fatness because I didn't want to blame myself for it. I also prayed that they would have good teeth.. so, I got one out of two ! I had the surgery.. lost 150 pounds, eating meals that would fit inside a walnut shell. If I had more, I vomited. I vomited for years. Now, despite eating much much MUCH less, I am at the weight I was prior to surgery. Odd, isn't it? I did what they told me to do. I ate less, moved my body. I had three kids, sometimes more with foster kids, worked, went to graduate school.. damn, I was always moving and busy... but each year the weight found me again. And the people on the sidelines were still telling me to eat less and move more. Till I decided to say "F**K that.. I am who I am. If you don't like it, don't look. I'm going to live my life with gusto". I am now active with NAAFA, the oldes size acceptance civil rights organization in the world, and I fight discrimination from people who say it's a fat person's fault. And to use a person's humanity to show weight loss for a television show should be CRIMINAL. People come in different sizes: Believe it, accept it, support it.

Janie said...

Nikki,

Thanks for such an honest response. Because of its honesty and body shame triggers I am not posting it.

I will keep it in my heart and remember that we ALL fight the battle, each in our own way.

-Janie