Friday, October 23, 2009

Lady with the Giant Purse UPDATED

As I looked at all the cute tiny purses I sighed, resigned to the fact that I am one of those giant purse ladies. Well maybe not as bad as Lindsay Lohan:
Yeah my purse may be that big after all.

it's got to be big enough to hold:

  • diapers, wipes, and changing pad - (a big purse is still cooler than a purse + a diaper bag)
  • toys to entertain the kids and me
  • lotion
  • gum
  • Keys
  • wallet
  • cell phone
  • advil
  • calculator (one of my best money saving tools)
  • and my absolute best money saving tool: THE PRICE BOOK
What is the price book you ask??
I will tell you since I am in the process of recreating mine. Maiya decorated it and then Cora tore it up. I was devastated I tell you. I haven't jumped at putting one back together. But I am getting back on the wagon. Without my trusty price book I am seeing my grocery budget swell up and that is just not cool.
salvaged page from my previous price book - are you humming taps?? I am.


A price book is what you use to keep track of prices on ALL of your regular purchases.
You will soon realize with this one little tool that you are being tricked. Coupons are not always worth it. Sale fliers are bold faced liars. And what you used to think was a fabulous deal doesn't seem so fabulous anymore. And prices that didn't knock your socks off will now have you stopped dead in your tracks.

The second half of this little chunk of frugal heaven is that when you have a good price book, a good price book takes a while to come to fruition - but keep with it ( just keep your kids' grubby little fingers off of it) you start stockpiling. You stockpile because 1. You are building food storage. ( you are right? tell me you are - lie to me if you have to) and 2. When you realize you can get something for 50%-75% less than usual you buy enough to last a long, long time. At least until it goes on sale again.

No matter where you shop, no matter what your diet is, whether you clip coupons or don't, the Price book will change the way you shop and leave more money in that Grocery envelope of yours. If I didn't explain the virtues of the Price Book very well:

Read this (Price book 101)





UPDATE --
Food Storage price (a price so low you can stock up!)

World Market has Extra Virgin Olive Oil 7.99 for 2 liters --cheaper than sams club

4 comments:

Nana to Oz said...

I don't know if you call it frugal or not, but with this moving deal, I have cleaned cupboards and thrown away (ughhhh!) so much outdated stuff or given stuff away that I know I won't use in the next month, and am now buying only as I need it! And believe me, one person can get along on very little in the cupboard!!!

Nana to Oz said...

I don't know if you call it frugal or not, but with this moving deal, I have cleaned cupboards and thrown away (ughhhh!) so much outdated stuff or given stuff away that I know I won't use in the next month, and am now buying only as I need it! And believe me, one person can get along on very little in the cupboard!!!

Erin said...

So, I've been reading your links about a the price book and I think I'll give it a try instead of couponing once Dave gets a job. I have found that I didn't get the kind of food storage I need from couponing. You know, the stuff you use to make things from scratch. That's where I think a price book will come in handy. Thanks for the info and the idea.

Ryann said...

Yeah, now I feel justified in shopping at the commissary! Thanks for throwing that military wives link in there!