Thursday, July 02, 2009

Free Range kids


After an afternoon of swimming I had, had, had to return some books to the library. I pulled up in front of Frisco Library with Cora sleeping soundly and Maiya sleeping in a funny position but also sleeping soundly. I only had one stroller with me so I faced a dilemma. I also had DVD's which you have to return inside.

I asked Benjamin if he thought he could quickly take the books back inside for me. But he and Ella both started protesting saying they really, really, really wanted to check out one more book. so I debated and decided they could go in with each other old school buddy system style, return the books, go upstairs pick out ONE more, do self check-out and come back out to the van. THEY WERE THRILLED!!! I gave Ella my watch, and then re-preached the stranger danger schpeal and said be back in 15 minutes.

I sat there with the two sleeping ones see-sawing between being really proud of myself and being scared to death. Then.....

Maiya woke up screaming I have to PEE NOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! - so I scooped up a sleeping baby and put her in the single stroller and ran into the building with Maiya in hand. I had to find the kids before they went to the parking lot looking for me. So I scanned downstairs then headed to the elevator and pushed the button. The doors opened and Benjamin and Ella were standing there - Ella holding the watch very seriously. As soon as they laid eyes on me I got the "OHHHH MOM - WHY DID YOU COME IN??????? We are FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So I have more to say but Cora is upstairs calling for me - the interrupted afternoon nap means she is back up at 11.

If you want to read more about Free- Range Kids check this site out: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

I especially like the For or Against page. I am officially struggling to give my kids freedom - they deserve it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

love this story, cause I can totally see ella saying that :D you are the best mom!!!

Sarah said...

p.s. i can't sleep and i have to get up at 4:00 a.m. glad you posted!