Monday, June 29, 2009

tightwad thoughts


oh there is so much to blog, but there is so much more to do ...

1. Corn is on sale at Target 10 ears/$1 - I will be blanching and freezing like crazy - I learned all about it at Janette's awesome Penny Pinchers tutorial!!

2. I have some major stains to get out, so I'll be using the Tightwad gazette recipe:

Add one cup each of powdered Dishwasher soap and Clorox 2 to five gallons (a bucket from home depot works perfect or your son's twilight camp bucket) to the hottest water to come out of your tap, soak several articles overnight then wash as usual.

This will remove 90%+ of the stains that do not come out with normal wash and normal pre-treat. Not for delicates. Its very good at food stains!!
This recipe came from a woman who runs a kids consignment shop.

I use it for items I get from thrift stores, plus our usual messes. I have even had success revitalizing baby clothes that accidentally got stored with stains.

PS. to be extra tightwad like, you can reuse the solution.



2 comments:

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

Oh... I do have stains that need to be removed. I best be trying that little trick out.

Gary Church said...

Yay Janie! I didn't know that Target had them on sale ... I'm gonna go now!! :D

Market Street has roma tomatoes on sale for $.50/lb ... I'm going to get more to bottle diced and whole tomatoes ... and I'm going to make my own spaghetti sauce too. We made 4 gallons of salsa on Friday. I loooooooooooove canning. I think I'm addicted. :D