Tuesday, November 25, 2008

OT doesn't just stand for Overtime


Occupational Therapy was mentioned.

It was in the article about NieNie and Christian that was linked on Cjane's post yesterday.


"Christian said occupational therapy and rehabilitation at home takes up the majority of his day. Stephanie is still in a hospital, but Christian is glad he is going through many of the steps before she does. "


It might be a small thing to you - but as an Occupational Therapist (even a stay at home mom one) Its a big deal.

I mean do you realize Occupational Therapy never gets mentioned - I mean NEVER

Its always Physical therapy this, PT that - (no I'm not bitter...much)

IN OT school we wrote letters to ER when they didn't mention OT in an episode and then wrote letters to thank them when they mentioned it twice in a later episode.


Sometimes explaining Occupational Therapy is like talking about the church. It amazes me how many people have never heard of it. Have no idea what it is - or have it all wrong. Several of Kyle's co-workers in Virginia thought I was an Occupational Hypnotherapist - like in Office space.

so if you are wondering what it is check it out here

My definition is less technical heavy. OT helps you do your job - whatever that may be - mostly it starts with Activities of Daily Living (shower, dress, cook, work, if you are a kid -play, etc.)


I did one rotation in a burn unit - It was very, very hard work - for me and those going through it. NieNie and Christian are going to need all the strength they can muster and our prayers!!


I have also been trying to help Aunt Beth with my OT skills from a distance. As you know she has been going through Chemotherapy. She finished her last treatment a couple of weeks ago and we were thrilled because that means she may be able to come here for Christmas. But last week Peripheral Nueropathy (numbness in her hands and feet) - an effect of the chemo reared its ugly head. She had a fall then starting friday can't use her right hand. Its hard to be away from family. Especially when you want to help. We are praying for a speedy recovery!!

5 comments:

shahna said...

2 of my kids did OT at Easter Seals when they were in preschool and Kindergarten because they had REALLY poor fine motor skills. Funny story: my hubby (being the uberathlete that he is) decided it would be cool to change the hand that Tanner did everything with all the time. So for instance if he found him eating his cereal with his left hand he would take the spoon out of his left hand and put it in his right! He did this for years from the time he could hold something. The idea was that he would create an ambidexterous golfer/basketball player/ etc. Anyway, by the time he started school we realized that all he had created was a child that was not proficient in either hand! It was sad! We sent Tanner to OT for about 9 months and he loved every minute of it. I love OT!

Amanda said...

I never noticed that! I did know about OT though b/c my best friends sis is an OT at Parkland burn Center right now.

I didn't know you were one:)

Abby said...

Oo! Oo! Pick me, pick me! I know what OT is. The doctors said Peanut might need that with learning to eat. He is still on formula because there aren't enough safe foods for him to eat. He still eats the level 1 baby food. They said it will take a long time for him to learn to eat real food like the rest of us do and he'll probably have to be taught how since he's starting so late.

The A Team said...

i did ot for a little while when i was 9. i had to relearn to walk and the pts and ots worked out a program to help me out. pt hurt and made me cry, in ot we made cookies and i helped the little kids with art projects (guess which one helped me walk faster...)

Unknown said...

Janie,

I am suppose to tell you that I have a check for you from Monica. I will bring it to church on Sunday. Can we exchange for a cd for her???

Thanks