Saturday, November 22, 2008

I love my church!!

couple of thoughts on my mind-

Ladies, wasn't the Bishops "straight from the horses mouth's" talk today awesome?
I thought it was.

Anywho...
don't know if many of you even know this happened, but last Saturday the Stake had an emergency preparedness drill. Our area was to be "hit" by an unexpected tornado (or something of the like). Bro. Holgate came to our house to tell us the details in advance. Our part was that we had been hit and we had no phone and we needed a chainsaw badly. Our directions were to not discuss this with others and on the day of the drill if anyone called and asked if we had an emergency to say "we have no working phone" and hang up. Then if they came we told them we were in need of a chainsaw. The undercover nature of it had the kids so excited. When Bro. Fisher did come that day - they were thrilled to be a part of it. I am just impressed with how focused on preparation our faith is - I know that if there is ever an actual emergency here we will be taken care of!

That is also a safety net that comforts me now during Kyle's job loss. We are not there yet, but I know if help is ever needed all I have to do is pick up the phone and say "We have been hit, we need x" and someone is here!!

Oh and the other thing I love about my church is how smoothly it runs with a lay clergy functioning on a 100% volunteer basis. Its amazing how much can be accomplished when people have a good attitude about their callings. Almost every person has felt the demands of being in a huge ward. Kyle and I have been leading Cub scout den meetings with 12+ boys each time. But tomorrow the ward will be split! This is the second split we have been a part of since we moved here. Have you heard yet how awesome it is here? Everyone wants to move here!!

I will miss seeing everyone -

but I am looking forward to the changes, because like I said before my church is AWESOME.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree! It is awesome!

My name is Andrea said...

I really appreciate YOU! You guys are awesome...change can be very exciting, and hard at the same time. But the Gospel is the same, and splitting is a byproduct of growth...awesome!

Amanda said...

Thanks for this post:)

Sarah said...

so-- when i have told everyone i would be okay with you in another ward-- i don't know if that's the truth-- when i moved here, i was lost and depressed and you asked me to go walking with you-- you saved my life-- i guess we'll just have to start walking again-- our church is awesome!!!

shahna said...

I didn't realize you were on our side of the split! YAY for me and everyone else in the new Prosper ward. I want to add you to my blog list now that I am finally getting around to it.

Janie said...

Sarah, it is funny that we are on the opposite ends, I haven't even wanted to talk about the possiblity of a split cuz I knew we'd be on the wrong side of Va parkway, but now that its here I feel slightly prepared. bummed, but prepared, and yes I am ready to start walking again!! It would probably help with the stress
and thanks for the nice comments guys, with bloggin we'll never be far huh?

The A Team said...

thanks for this post. i had up to 12 9 year olds on sundays and it wasn't easy but when i went in with a smile and prepared things went as smoothly as they could with 12 9 year olds. i'm torn about the split. it'll be nice to be in a smaller ward but hard to not see all my frisco friends every sun.