Monday, March 03, 2008

I heart movies...

Being sick I was somewhat consoled by way too much TV, and often lamented that none of my favorite movies were on. Abby's recent post gave me an excuse to avoid housework and categorize my faves. - It was fun even though I did waste too much time doing it.
  1. Chick flicks: Sliding Doors (1998 Starring Gwyneth Paltrow) and of course Terms of Endearment (1983 Starring Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger - who can't cry at that movie - Fave quote:"It's after ten. I don't see why she has to have this pain...It's time for her shot. Do you understand? Do something! All she has to do is hold on until ten, and it's past ten. She's in pain. My daughter's in pain. Give her the shot. Do you understand me? Give my daughter the shot!"
  2. Romance: Say Anything (1989 Starrring Jon Cusack), The Graduate (1968 Starring Anne Bancroft and Dustin Hoffman - Best soundtrack of all time) and Garden State (2004 Starring and written/directed by Zack Braff)
  3. Modern Comedy: Love most Will Ferrell and Chris Farley stuff, but for absolute favorites see Coen Brothers list.
  4. Dark Comedy: I don't know if its in this category but I LOVED Fargo (1996 Starring William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi) Buscemi cracks me up in almost every scene. I also loved that they claim its "Based on a true story" and they actually made the entire thing up. Gotta love the Coen brothers. Which leads me to my own category: Coen Brothers movies: O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Big Lebowski, and Raising Arizona - in that order.
  5. War comedy: Top Secrect (1984 Starring Val Kilmer - Parody of WWII spy movies in which an American rock and roll singer becomes involved in a Resistance plot to rescue a scientist imprisoned in East Germany)
  6. War Drama: Don't like these - Does Officer and a Gentleman count?
  7. Sports: I don't like any sports movies either, but if pinned down by bad-guys and had to say, I'd say League of Their Own. - But that's a chick flick really.
  8. Drama: The Shawshank Redemption (1994 Starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman) Only Stephen King movie done well. And The Color Purple (1985)
  9. Musical: Grease 2, then Grease, then Zanadu then Little Shop of Horrors - in that order. Of the more serious - Sound of Music and Evita - but truth be told I LOVE THEM ALL
  10. Parody: This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - "Does for rock and roll what "The Sound of Music" did for hills "
  11. Action: True Lies (1994 Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis) Honorable Mention: The Kill Bill movies, but only when they come on TV - pared down violence.
  12. Horror:The Blair Witch Project (1999 Starring - Heather Donahue and the brilliant Indie writers who created this film - went to see it in the theaters three times) Honorable Mention: Poltergeist
  13. Hitchcock: Its not a movie but an episode "The Man from the South" involving an infamous bet over keeping one's pinky finger, which leads to my favorte Quentin Tarantino movie : Four Rooms (1995 Starring a TON of celebrities including Madonna and Antonio Banderas)
  14. Suspense: Deceived (1991 Starring Goldie Hawn) Honorable Mention: The Usual Suspects
  15. Foreign Language: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000 Starring Yun-Fat Chow and Michelle Yeoh This movie has one of the most romantic scenes which I will quote: "I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side...as a condemned soul...than enter heaven without you. Because of your love...I will never be a lonely spirit."--Li Mu Bai to Shu Lien
  16. Science Fiction: Starman (1984 Starring Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen - coming on TV March 5th 9:45am on TMC) Honorable Mentions: Innerspace, Flight of the Navigator, Cocoon
  17. Holiday: The funny ones and yes I never get tired of them - watch them every year: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989 Starring Chevy Chase) and A Christmas Story (1983 Starring Peter Billingsley) - did you know that movie inspired "The Wonder Years" TV show?
  18. Disney: The Sword in the Stone - I want Merlin to make me into a fish
  19. Live action Disney: Freaky Friday, Pete's Dragon, Swiss Family Robinson, and The Chronicles of Narnia
  20. Pixar: Finding Nemo
  21. Cult Classics: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Wizard of Oz, Napoleon Dynamite
  22. John Hughes movies: The Breakfast Club and She's Having a Baby

Wow I like a lot of movies...

3 comments:

Abby said...

Good on ya, Janie! I wasted a lot of time doing mine, too. I still think it was fun.

The A Team said...

it's funny that you mentioned 'sliding doors', i just watched that yesterday. it was on overnight so i dvr'd it and watching during naptime...instead of doing the dishes or folding the clothes. oh well, it was worth it, that movies great!

Haley said...

YOu have FABULOUS taste in movies. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Top Secret! We could be great friends you and I. My movie buddy is movie and I need a new gal pal to go see all the awesome movies with!