Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Vehicle life support no more...

Its gone - we exchanged the Chevy for some very expensive scheduled maintenance on Gracie. Our most awesome mechanic is a church member - he is donating his services to try to get the Chevy drivable for a very needy family and we got a new timing belt and water pump in the Toyota. I am grateful - It was a very fair trade and I am glad we are done with it actually. Having one car is solidifying my resolve for frugal living. I say with only slight hesitation I have gone 100% into cloth diapers. I have mastered the correct number of layers for night and nap wear. The final frontier is out and about, but we won't get out much with one car:). I have made one trip requiring a diaper change and armed with leftover newspaper bags for the dirty diaper it went just fine. Now I have one issue with saving money on grocery shopping. Almost all books and websites I read on saving grocery money tout once a month grocery shopping. The idea is stocking up on sale items, bulk buying, and eliminating numerous trips and therefore extra money for miscellaneous junk. I get the point but I can't honestly picture it. For one I wouldn't know where to begin on getting everything for a month. It would probably require a lot of time at once. I don't think I am organized enough - but if it would save more I might try.
Here is a once a month shopping family:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=127871&page=1

The other tips so far have been a big help - I should give this one a try too. How often do the rest of you shop? Do you think going less often would save you money?

3 comments:

Ryann said...

I go twice a month and have almost eliminated short trips to get forgotten items. Meal planning, meal planning, meal planning!

That said -I don't think I could go once a month because the fresh fruits and veggies would not last that long. Good luck if you try though!!

Kleanteeth said...

What happened to the k-k-k-kia. Think chia pet song.

Janie said...

The Kia died literally on the way back from buying the toyota - timing belt went causing "possible" engine damage - sold it a few days later. when it rains...