Sunday, February 25, 2007

I miss Sarah

It is so good to get out of your own zone sometimes. I just finished a book I would have never read on my own. It came highly recommended and I still wasn't too excited to read it. It just didn't seem like my kind of book. I muddled through at first - but halfway through I was gasping out loud. By yesterday I couldn't put it down, yet I was sad knowing the faster I read the sooner it would be over. There is one particular letter to Sarah from Jack that took my breath away. Every woman should have a love letter like that tucked away somewhere. I am lucky to have many tucked away from Kyle. Of all the gifts I have gotten from Kyle, if our house burned to the ground I would miss those letters the most. The author wrote the book based off her great-grandmothers journal. I would love to know if that letter was based off something real too.
So go and get this book and tell me what you think
"These is My Words" By Nancy Turner
Here is one review of it:
This rip-roaring yarn, the diary as page-turner, is based on Turner's great-grandmother's diary and covers 20 years in the life of a woman in the Arizona Territories at the end of the last century. Through these pages, we watch the spirited Sarah, unpolished but spunky at 17, improve both her grammar and her grace; come to terms with death and tragedy including Indian attacks, train robbers, and childhood disease; marry twice and love one man fiercely; birth and bury children; and keep a large cast of extended family in her heart and in her kitchen. Along the way, she examines her own feelings toward Indians, Mexicans, and folks from back east; learns to manage money by making and selling her own scented soap; and attracts the love of her life by besting a bully in a shooting match. The language is rich and fine, sounding true to its time without being precious.

No comments: