Wednesday, August 23, 2006

So I am a dork and loving it

I went to the first relief society enrichment night last night and had a good time. It started off bad when I forgot the salsa I had homemade, and printed up recipes for, then lovingly left it in the fridge! But lots of people brought some so I didn't feel too bad for being an airhead.

In one of the mini classes this woman brought our her "coupon binder" - being the organization wannabe I am, I was fascinated! I was like a guy looking at a fully loaded new model sports car. She used dividers and baseball card holder sheets to slide in her coupons. She swore by her system: clipping coupons on sunday, filing them during a fav tv show, then on wed getting the store flyer and ONLY using coupons at the same time the store puts the exact same item on sale. Sometimes this may mean you come close to the expiration date, but when both hits (which is very often) - you can save a TON. I thought it was so cool I made myself a binder and tried it out today.
I was amazed!! I got cereal for FREE, free I tell you! - Here is how it went down:
Kroger
Cereal 10 for 10 dollars but you don't have to buy 10 if you don't want to
I got 2 bags = $2.00
I had two .50 coupons which Kroger always doubles -2.00 = FREE CEREAL
I also got two bags of chex mix for less than a dollar.
So for a trial run I was blown away. Now it does mean getting what's on sale when its on sale and stocking up - but with three kids that is fine by me. Overall I got 37.00 of groceries for 19.00 - and I'm just getting started.
Yes I know most of you have long since rolled your eyes and stopped reading. But hey, I might be a dork shopping with a three ring binder, but saving dough never goes out of style!!

3 comments:

Kleanteeth said...

Yeah, you are a dork. I can see it now, the lady that parks her cart right in the middle of the way with the screaming kids in tow, the youngest nursing her plastic dolly.

Anonymous said...

Right down your alley. My eyes started glazing over and I got dizzy half way thru reading about it. lol

Ryann said...

That is awesome! I tried to do coupons but just got too lazy. I had a friend who did it though and she frequently got hundreds of dollars of groceries for $20-$40. Amazing. Keep it up!