Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Field trip

Well we enjoyed the field trip to the pumpkin farm yesterday - all three were well behaved. It was interesting to see Benjamin in a "school" environment - I had Ella right by me but for the most part Benjamin stayed off with his school buddies.
I found out that Benjamin has a blind girl in his class. Although when I asked him about her I don't think he really gets the concept of what it means to be blind - because he says "Yeah she is blind but I see her eyes work" But of course Ella immediately corrects him "No Benjamin close your eyes. That is all she can see!!!"
Watching the little girl and her mom really made me emotional - I've said it before and I know we all think it - we take so much for granted!
It was touching to see the mom tell her all about the farm that she was standing in the middle of but couldn't see. I don't think our tour guide even realized because the girl is gorgeous (with beautiful eyes -- I understand B's confusion). The mom kept tracking down the things he was talking about so that she could feel it - while learning about corn the mom was frantically breaking a piece of the stalk so that she could feel it. The mother even described in detail what a greenhouse was and passed her hands over the plastic.
I thought to myself - there are so many things that I don't explain to my kids and they can see - and this mom fights to teach her girl about everything!
so needless to say I did get some inspiration from the farm but it had nothing to do with the farm!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean -- I am learning from my job not to take anything for granted and to treasure everything, especially family & good health. Maybe it would do us all good to "be blind" for a while! (Oops, didn't mean to get philosophical there!!)

I am glad everyone enjoyed the field trip -- sounded like fun!