Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our favorite bedtime stories

There are the classic Dr. Seuss tales:

Thanks Theodor for the fun stories, because what is more fun than completely made up words and totally awesome rhymes in your bedtime book?



Then there are our favorite comedies:

We love the pigeon series - especially his intense desire to drive a bus and own a puppy!

Thanks Mo for giving my kids belly laughs each time I read those books.



and oh the twisted fairy tales of Jon Scieszka. I owned his bedtime stories in high school (thanks mom!) and I read them to friends then. I never tire of reading them to my kids. Benjamin and I LOVE The stinky cheese man - and laugh together so much reading it that it gets hard to read.



Then the fantastic artwork books:

Who doesn't love the beautiful collage artwork and the happy nature of his books? Thank you Eric - one of your books was one of the first ones read to Benjamin at school on kindergarten meet the teachers night many nights ago.

As the author himself puts it "“With many of my books I attempt to bridge the gap between the home and school. To me home represents, or should represent; warmth, security, toys, holding hands, being held. School is a strange and new place for a child. Will it be a happy place? There are new people, a teacher, classmates—will they be friendly?"



And then there is Peggy Rathman

Oh Peggy how we loooooove your books. Good night gorilla is a well worn and loved copy in our home. As is 10 minutes till bedtime. I love these two books because they are heavy on artwork and short on words - so they can be quick reads or heavily embellished reads that take much minute dissecting of the event via the pictures.



We love to name the animals as they sneak into Zookeeper Joe's house



We love even more that in 10 minutes till bedtime we can see the good night gorilla book scene in the background.

In 10 minutes till bedtime the goodnight gorilla is a stuffed animal that frequents almost every page. And we love to scream out 10 minutes till bedtime, 9 minutes till bedtime. ... all the way down to BEDTIME!!!!!!!! - that page is always a hoot.

ps. there is a website about the 10 minutes till bedtime hamster tour, powered by hamsters!



and when you are not in the mood for a book you make up your own:

This is me and ella passing the ipod back and forth telling a chain story with no prior plot sketching AT ALL !!! I think we did pretty good.




2 comments:

Nana to Oz said...

Loved your story!!! Is there a sequel? Do they turn back into people and live happily ever after in the forest? Or are they doomed to be frog and toad forever? Can't wait to hear more!! PS - I used to read to Kyle and Aaron from the time they were younger than PJ!

Cathy said...

You know what is interesting about this post? You hated being read to. I had always fantasized about reading my favorite books to my children. I would sit you on my lap, where you proceeded to rip the book out of my hand and sling it to the floor. But you did love books - you just wanted to be in charge (mmm... ). Do you remember being in the hospital one night when Dad left work and drove to see suprise you? Mr. Mike and Miss Anne had given you a book, and he read it to you. I was amazed you let him! Love you - Mom