Tuesday, April 12, 2011

random thoughts

Things are going pretty well with Hickory. He has figured out the dog door - goes out on his own to go potty. Now that we have the new fence he leaves my garden alone.
He is definitely "my" dog. Its kind of inevitable since I am with him 100% of the time and walk and feed him the most. But I hope with time his bond with the kids will grow. After me Benjamin and him are good buddies. Benjamin loves to play with him and loves, loves going to the off leash dog park.
Cora my tender one, needs to build a thicker skin with him, but she is getting there. One day I watched her for about thirty minutes bring treats out to him in the backyard where he was laying in the sun.

I am uber-socializing him, keeping him with me almost everywhere I go and taking him on lots of car rides. I have my own theory that over-loved dogs become better behaved dogs. And it breaks my heart to put him in the crate. He only goes in there when I absolutely have to leave the house without him. And as you can see he sleeps with us. He is truly part of the pack.

What is it they say? - teach an animal to trust you and they will do anything for you.

My heart has been heavy about two major things lately that I feel (actually I know) that
I totally bungled as mom.
I have a hard time letting go or even not thinking about it.
One involves meetings with doctors and one involves meetings with teachers.
Sometimes I try really hard to not think about it and the more I try, the more I think about it and then the more I cry. Its like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man syndrome.

Ella takes a bunch of pictures and every time I load them into the computer they make me chuckle. I was daydreaming the other day that when we moved into this house she was so little and couldn't read and was wearing size 4T and she needed help into the little airplanes at the park.
Its crazy how time flies.





so Mr. PJ and food. ugh. I don't subscribe to this need to start feeding babies solid food because they are 4-6 months old. Really if it was left totally up to my natural inclination they'd start table food around their first birthday (I also aim to go straight from boob to cup/straw - oh how I LOATHE sippy cups with every cell in my being).
He's started to show a little interest in food so we've done it a few times. Mostly just sharing what we are eating. And this is how it goes down in his opinion:

sweet potatoes - yuck
carrots - double yuck
peas - yuck
applesauce - yuck
mom's mashed potatoes - pretty good
refried beans - awesome
boob juice - THE BEST STUFF ON EARTH

4 comments:

Nana to Oz said...

I am not sure what you mean by "bungling" things as a Mom, b/c I think you are an AWESOME mom!!! You are raising 5 great kids and doing a fantastic job. I love that you are the mom of my grandkids!!!

Melissa G. said...

Do you wish you had redshirted or wish you hadn't?

Janie said...

very much wish I had redshirted - maiya was not ready - but I thought being there would make her ready - stupid logic on my part. Ella on the other hand should have been able to start a year early - she is condescending to her classmates - and hates "being treated like a baby"

but Maiya clicks better with the younger kids, so we will be repeating kindergarten, wish we had just homeschooled this year instead.

Kleanteeth said...

I wonder if some dogs are better up in heaven and get the good life gigs on earth. Wonder if they rub it in to other dogs at the park when they're sniffing each others butt. Cute pic, though. And I love the one on the no poo blog where you are holding PJ.