Wednesday, January 05, 2011

she might be ready, I'm not



My kiddos are late walkers and later talkers. Well except for Ella, she's like the babysitter from the incredibles and has always been.
But the rest take their sweet ol time. Receptive language is spot on. They understand exactly what you are saying they just choose not to respond. Not with words anyway. Maiya took so long and tortured so many speech therapists with her cuteness but lack of words I started to get seriously worried. Then one day she just started talking, forgetting sentences she went straight to novellas.
Cora is following suit. I am pretty sure she can talk a whole lot more than she does. She's just not that into it. And what she does say is admittedly hard to understand, even for her mom.
but...
She has gone to the potty pretty consistently for #1 for a while now. And while the kids were on break she even went #2 a few times.
But I'm not ready.
I mean how the heck do you potty train a toddler that's not really talking. Its complicated.
And honestly until PJ is a little older it would be nice if she just stayed in diapers. Its hard coordinating outings, naptime, a baby and ALWAYS being near a potty.
oh and to help things she is kind of afraid of real toilets, only wants to use a potty. Makes potty training hard out and about.
I prefer to go cold turkey to real underwear. but I just don't know....

like I said, I'm not ready.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I totally feel your pain. With Peanut not talking and everyone getting up my butt about potty training him I keep asking these geniuses how I'm supposed to know when he needs to go when he can't even express it in words? And then I get all the smart answers about sign language, which is great when you're looking RIGHT AT HIM, but what about when we're driving in the car? Or he's somewhere in the house and can't find me in time before he pees his pants? I'm so glad people think this through before offering such crappy advice (no pun intended).

Melissa G. said...

Have you seen this? http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L1496-Potty-On-the-Go/dp/B000K7IF1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1294842918&sr=8-1

It was a lifesaver for us when Kylee was newly potty trained,especially since most the parks around here don't have bathrooms!