Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Family Scripture

wildflowers at Erwin Park

I am not into resolutions in the traditional sense, but I do try to challenge myself spiritually. Lately I have felt the strong desire to be more open to hearing the Spirit in my life. Most importantly to be aware that some feelings and motivations are in fact personal revelation for ME.

I think I am fairly good about following promptings. But I am not good at acknowledging those as such, in the moment they happen. So this goal of mine has also evolved into having more teachable moments with my children about the Holy Ghost and how he literally helps us and not just figuratively. He is not only a cheerleader rooting for our good but is actually guiding us.

I got this book at the Temple Bookstore when we went this past Saturday, because I liked Bro. Wilcox so much when I listened to him at Time Out for Women. There have been quite a few things that have stood out to me since reading it. One is that there are sections in the scriptures that are really private family stories that we are blessed to be privy to since they decided to record them.

Bro. Wilcox says every family has these stories. Stories of God's hand in our lives that get told over and over until they are like "family scriptures" - faith building stories central to your family.

I remember my mom telling often of a special Priesthood blessing I received when I was suffering from Reye's Syndrome (I still remember the hallucinations from that episode). Before my blessing they weren't sure if I would make it and if I did what hospital I would be transferred to when the sun came up. But... I went home the next day. A miracle. Its so tender to my mom that she has not told me all the details - she holds them in her heart.

For my kids they still talk about the "tire incident" with Cora, We were getting tires put on the van and I was playing with her to pass the time. I went to set her on the counter in front of me so I could tickle her little belly. Just before I let go of her I distinctly heard a voice tell me "STOP". I did, and instantly realized it was not a shelf but just the tire rack which was empty behind the thin bar. I would have dropped her from my eye level to a hard concrete floor. And I am sure the thin bar would have made her flip probably landing on her head.
No one was around me. No person there to warn me. It was the Holy Ghost. And stronger than the audible voice I heard moments earlier was the profound feeling in my soul to tell my children what just happened.

They still bring up this story (a year and half later) and I now realize its making its way into our "family scripture"

I am going to make a concentrated effort to recognize the Lord's hand in my life, the guidance of the Holy Ghost and share more personal experiences of faith with my children. It may be as simple as adding a "God is Awesome" when we talk about the gorgeous flowers.



3 comments:

Ryann said...

I loved that Janie. I should try to do that as well.

Abby said...

That is such a marvelous idea. I've told quite a few people the story about when Peanut went into anaphylactic shock as a baby, but at the time I didn't know what was happening. I just thought he was sick and when he passed out I assumed he'd just fallen asleep so I started to go upstairs to put him in his crib. A firm voice told me "Do NOT put that baby in bed." I turned around, came downstairs, and looked him over and only then did I realize he wasn't sleeping, he had passed out and I couldn't revive him. A few hospitals and ambulance rides later and they finally found out what was wrong with him. And they also told me that had I put him to bed he quite likely would have died without medical help because he was so young. I've told many people how the Holy Ghost's prompting saved his life, but it never once occurred to me to tell my children. I think I'll have to start. Wonderful suggestion.

My name is Andrea said...

Have I told you how much I love you?? I do.

Incidently, I've been studying the D&C...and section 76, when Joseph and Sydney were seeing the vision of the three glories and learning about "heaven," the Lord commanded them several times during the vision to "write while we were yet in the Spirit." The Lord doesn't just want us to write them down, he wants us to do it WHILE we are receiving the impressions. It IS important to have these "family scriptures," and I've done a horrible job at doing it.

PS my brother had Reye's Syndrome. Terrifying. He, too, was saved by a priesthood blessing.