Tuesday, September 08, 2009

things I don't mind spending money on...

you know my frugal pursuits well by now - so let me tell you a little bit about where I enjoy spending money:

  • quality appliances - a used quality appliance is better than a cheap version anyday.
  • bulk items - I will spend more to grocery shop knowing I paid the rock bottom per unit price
  • high speed Internet
  • a good bra
  • books - yes I know about the library but sometimes you just want some books to be yours
  • babysitters
  • vacations
That was what I wanted this weekend - a mini vacation. Late Friday night I was desperately seeking a campsite on the beach in Galveston. I hear the state park there has been rebuilt since Ike. Alas I had no luck and I painfully realized there wasn't enough money in the "Blow" envelope anyway.
I went to bed telling Kyle we were not just loafing the three day weekend away. We were going to do something fun come hell or high water.
The next day we got up and cleaned the whole house as a family (because nothing is more fun than cleaning right?) - Actually it started the weekend perfectly because mom is happier when the house is clean.
Saturday afternoon we went roller skating in Plano - it was packed, but we had fun laughing at ourselves heartily.
Sunday afternoon we let the kids destroy said clean house as Kyle and I took a three hour nap.
Monday afternoon we spent the entire afternoon at the nickel arcade in Garland (we may or may not have took a little money out of the clothing envelope for more nickels.

It may not have been camping on the beach. But it was a perfect weekend. And guess what

I didn't take any pictures

I let my mind make memories instead because sometimes you get tired of looking through a lens and worrying about your camera on the back of the stroller.

But I will always remember Ella scooting around the rink cautiously with her new glasses slipping down her nose. I will remember Benjamin flailing like a baby seal coming out of the water trying to get up on his skates when he fell in the center of the rink.

I'll remember Maiya losing rather rapidly to one arcade game and when the giant "FAIL" sign popped up she asked me what it said. I said "It says you WON" and she walked off saying "I know. I'm really good"

I'll remember Cora still crawling on the dirty carpet at the rink (man I'm ready for that chick to walk already) and me rescuing her from possible crushed fingers. I remember her pushing the coin button on all the games at the arcade and having as much fun as the real games. I'll remember her falling asleep just as we were about to leave so we decided to get another five bucks worth of nickels.

I'll remember Kyle kissing me in the car as he said "thanks babe, we all had a lot of fun"

To cap off the weekend - last night we had a deliciously bad dinner - Kyle made some homemade cheese fries topped with bacon bits with ranch on the side I made broccoli just to balance out the cosmos (the kids were mad at me they said the broccoli touching their cheese fries ruined it)-

Ella said right after the Blessing on the food:

This was the best weekend ever...

I agree, Ella, I agree

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you Janie and Kyle for giving my grandchildren a childhood full of memories they will happily recall and laugh about when they tell others. That is something that you can never buy no matter how rich you may become.

Beth said...

What a great weekend! Just the other day Lindsay said to me for the first time (because I let us have a picnic lunch in the toy room while watching a movie), "This is the best day ever." It just melted my heart!

Meg said...

LOL sounds awesome:) but was there no memory for Kyle skate walking while holding on to the wall for dear life????

Janie said...

there would be although I have to admit I was holding on to the wall just as much - there were too many dang people - we had to street park because the parking lot was full!!

Tony said...

Sometimes the best memories are the "simplest" ones. Glad that you all you had a fun time this long weekend. Plus you can have another "cleaning party" this weekend. Woo hoo! ;)

Nana to Oz said...

What lucky kids to learn that having fun doesn't have to involve big bucks and fancy places! It's the simple things that make the best memories -- they will look back one day and recall it all with awe! Bless you!