Wednesday, September 30, 2009

hundred dollar oven

my little kitchen helper

remember my whiny post? you don't well its right there below this one...
I was so frustrated with not having an oven (its ok to not have an oven in a Texas Summer, but you have to have one in the Fall - because its not fall if you are not baking right?) so I took a stroll through Craigslist. And lo and behold I found an oven - 1.5 years old - white and gas... no bells and whistles but just what I needed.
I emailed about it - they were asking $175 I got an immediate response - which told me just what I needed to know - they were motivated to sell and it was still available. In craigslist world that is fertile ground to bargain, so I enticed them with cash.
my reply email was this "I can pay you 100 in cash today, if you want the full 175 I can't come until saturday"

It worked! 100 cash now is better than 175 Saturday. So I drove out and got myself an oven.
Got completely lost coming and going - but that is in the past now - baking is in my future.

My passive aggressive bargaining reminds me of the marshmallow test:


8 comments:

Meredith said...

Hilarious! I'd like to know how long she was out of the room.....where do you find this stuff Janie?

My name is Andrea said...

YAY!! that is awesome, Janie!

Brianne said...

What a sweet deal! The marshmallow test cracked me up - kids are hilarious.

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

You have great negotiating skills. And, yay for Fall baking!

Gary Church said...

Grams and I both sat here laughing over those kids and the marshmallows ... my favorite was the kids who stuck both in his mouth at once. Hilarious.

Erin said...

Yeah! Way to go out there and find an oven! I can relate to the kids in the marshmallow test -- I just hate waiting! I would prefer to eat the one marshmallow and leave than have to sit there and wait. Maybe that's my problem!

Bethanne said...

Awesome!

If it makes you feel any better, besides having little extra money, we are working on just a few, key themed gifts for Christmas...Dan thinks I'm the Grinch, but good grief. Project De-spoilification is what I am calling it...and not like we have tons (a one-income family of a teacher? yeah right), but my kids don't even miss the stuff. They just want extra one-on-one time and cuddling and board game time together...

Melissa Jones said...

You are my hero! Go Craigslist!