Friday, June 20, 2008

Big Boned Baby!!







I am scared. We went in for an ultrasound today. I wasn't exactly sure on the reasons why the doctor ordered it but I was glad to go. Apparently I am measuring 'big' - the doctor never told me that but oh well. A few too many dreams about boy babies made me excited to get to check the nether regions. Well Cora treated us to a lovely bum shot and she is most definitely a she! And the tech was able to get some good measurements of her head, tummy and femur. After that she was a little too wiggly to get a good 3-D picture. Kyle and I saw her amazingly well during the process. She looks very similar to her brother and sisters but completely different all at the same time. She has my HUGE forehead. The tech pointed out a bunch of hair that is already there. She doesn't have prominent duck lips like mine - yeah!! But, and here is why I am scared: She does have a big head like her daddy! Here is the synopsis of her measurements - keep in mind I am only 34 weeks along!
By weight she is measuring 39 weeks, by size she is measuring 38 weeks 4 days
Now I know that this is, by far, an inaccurate science, but still - OUCH! I only had an ultrasound this late in the game with Maiya and they never commented on her being too big. The lady today seemed to have mixture of awe and sympathy for me. She said I'll probably see you again in a couple of weeks. I said "why" to make fun of me? She's not going to get smaller. I don't know yet what the doctor will do with this information. I really, really, really didn't want to be induced. But I don't want to have a 10 lb. baby either. long sigh.......

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you are almost there! When I first stumbled upon your blog, you were only a few weeks along (and SOOOOOOOOO sick). I wish you well with upcoming birthday. I know all about the anxiety of BIG babies. Lucky for me I have the hips to handle it (kind of wish I didn't have them now that all the babies are out).

I'm jealous that you will have a newborn to photograph. Wish I wasn't so wasted when my little one was born. Would have loved to use my camera more. I miss all the newborn things. Just remember that even a BIG newborn is still SO tiny compared to where they will be. (My 5 month old just weighed in at 20 lbs).

Abby said...

They told me I would have a big baby and to be prepared for something in the 8 lb range or larger. He came at 6-13 at 39 weeks. Goes to show you how scientific those things are.

Sarah said...

my bet is within the next two weeks!!! :D

Kleanteeth said...

They say everything is bigger in Texas, so I guess the babies you make there follow suit, but ouch. I've been induced 2 times and had no problems with it, so don't rule it out. It could turn into your best friend.

Ryann said...

You wouldn't want to be induced? At least it would be over! And don't be too intimidated by big babies-my great friend here had three over 10 pounds. You won't even notice!

Janie said...

hey to answer some questions - Ryann I am going to keep the baby in our room until past bassinet size then I am moving her in with Benjamin - he is thrilled. I'll decide long term when meg moves out.
As for the induction vs. going into labor on my own. I was induced twice and that compared to going into labor on my own with Ella was the difference of night and day. Induction is not my friend.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics, especially the first one -- her little face is soooo precious!! Induction would certainly make it easier for me to plan to be there, but you're right-- usually NOT a lot of fun for MOM!!
Thanks for the smiles --made my day a lot brighter! Love ya!

Amanda said...

typing one handed here......
my sister who is 100 lbs when not preggo delivered her second boy at 9.5 lbs with no drugs.
then my sis -in law delivered her 3rd girl last year who was 11.5 lbs---no drugs also. neither one had GBS or complications. pray, and go with your gut feeling....don't be induced unless you feel good about---it's your body.

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

oh my gosh, sympathies to your neather regions! sound like you and Mr. ruby slippers need to go hit the sheets as much as possible!!! as long as you have air conditioning that shouldn't be so bad?!

Janie said...

Practically - your comment got lost in the blogosphere for a while, but now that is has been found, it made me laugh out loud. - Kyle and I are making the most of my situation, because I hear his lovin' makes labor come sooner. It makes for an interesting pre-baby honeymoon!

Janie said...

Practically - your comment got lost in the blogosphere for a while, but now that is has been found, it made me laugh out loud. - Kyle and I are making the most of my situation, because I hear his lovin' makes labor come sooner. It makes for an interesting pre-baby honeymoon!

Gary Church said...

I agree with you on induction ... it sucked for me ... and ended in cesarean. For what it's worth, and I'm not sayin' your kid isn't gonna be huge ... but, you know I had a ton of sonos with Ryan, and his head measured 'full term' at 34 weeks. They were telling me to expect at least 8 1/2 pounds ... which for my 5 foot frame was like a 12 pounder ... well ... he came out, a whopping 7 lbs 2 oz (4 days past due), and with a head measuring in the 10th percentile. Boy were they wrong! lol. So ... I'm just sayin' ... there's still hope. lol. But, you're kid could still be totally huge too. Good luck with that. lol.