Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Am I getting accurate information


I made an angry phone call about our homeowners insurance going up $150 dollars this coming year. The agent's calm reply was: "Insurance rates are increasing across the board right now especially in Texas"

Apparantly, rising fuel costs and rising everything else costs is driving up construction costs - so the replacement value of our home has increased. Its going to cost more to insure the home that has most likely lost value in this market. So is $851 a year ok for a homeowners insurance premium? I did some shopping and couldn't really find anything better for decent coverage and I just got an offer from Allstate for $1120 a year - which makes my company look ok. I don't mean to pry but am I getting ripped off? What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Kleanteeth said...

I wish mine was 850, that's a bargain. I guess when you live in hurricane alley like we do, rates rise. It's double what we were paying in the beach. Mine is like 1300 a year, but I had a quote from all-state at 2400. Have you tried local area companies, not just the big dogs?

Amanda said...

Ours is more than that but it all depends on the size of the house etc....so I would say that is good!