Thursday, May 08, 2008

The anxiety and the joy...


Started my photography class Tuesday night. Quickly learned two things - WOW I really don't know a lot about photography and my Sony cybershot (non - SLR) was not going to cut it with the big boys. Upon the advice of many and a full on obsession of investigating my options, Kyle ordered my mothers day gift: A Canon XTI with a separate 50mm 1.8 lens. Being the frugal gal that I am, this is very stressful. It's hard to spend this kind of money on something that at the heart of it depends on my skill level! There is a lot of practice in my future and I think my kids are already sick of me taking pictures of them so send me an email and let me know when I can come take pictures of you and/or your kids.
Part two of this post:
I rarely put my testimony out there especially in blog format, but I just have to say how this photography class has effected my faith. Strange I know. The first class focused on "white balance" a feature that most cameras have - check yours out to see if it does. We are always bathed in a "color" of light. Morning sunrises are bluish, sunsets are reddish, incandescent light is yellow, fluorescent light green, etc. Only really pure mid-day light is white. Our eyes constantly adjust for this so we don't see those colors specifically. Cameras do though. Despite all the technology that exists there is no camera yet that can perfectly adjust for the color of light. If you stay in Auto mode on your camera, often your pictures will not be consistent. It made me think how amazing Heavenly Father really is. The only really true "automatic" lens that can accommodate color, lighting, etc. is our eyes. The focus is broken on my eyes - hence the lenses that I have to add to them or put in my eyes. But still it is truly amazing. We are here to experience these wonderful bodies and what they are capable of. Its even more amazing to me that I can be part of the process as I feel Cora kick me daily. And when she comes into the world she will be ready to see my face and probably won't notice the harsh greenish light of the hospital room. Here we are listening to her sweet heartbeat:

6 comments:

Hallie said...

Nice strong heartbeat. I love listening to babies heartbeats. It's almost as great as a baby laugh.

My name is Andrea said...

Such a beautiful comparison!

And can I tell you how jealous I am of the SLR? I want one so bad. So. Bad. I just can't. justify. right. now. All my money must go to paying for gas this summer...

:(

Congrats, maybe I can come look at it???

Kleanteeth said...

Glad you're following your passion. I took a couple photo classes in college and I loved them. I don't have the equipment to take it seriously, though. To me, it's really only fun to shoot color at dawn/or dusk. With all of the amazing colors in the world, I still love to shoot black and white. I hope you enjoy it. I would love some photos of my family, but the drive here is killer.

Anonymous said...

You can come take pictures of us anytime you want! I am sure I could get the rest of the family around here to pose too. Only thing is, you have to bring Kyle and the kiddos with you and stay awhile!! Ha!

The A Team said...

congrats on the new camera!!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add -- what a BEAUTIFUL sound!!! Hi, Cora Mae!! I love you already!