Friday, January 19, 2007

Favorite money savers thus far...

Price book - I thought I already had this concept in the bag - but boy was I wrong. I figured I kept track of what I spend on regular purchases - but I actually just "ballparked" and was missing the boat. Since I became a born again tightwad I put a notebook in my purse and wrote everything down. It is amazing the variations in grocery prices - can you imagine any other product changing price 50-300% weekly - well besides gas. Discoveries so far: Bulk is not always cheaper, coupons are not always the best, and stores change prices on you all the time! - Don't assume anything price wise. Just by writing prices down my eyes have been totally opened. This has by far saved us the most money - That combined with flyers...

Flyers - I have been using these for a while, but now that I have been doing the price book - I KNOW when something is the cheapest I have seen in a long time and I can stock up with confidence.
P.S. Store brands still rule!!!

Cooking from scratch - I am new to this but so far I am liking it. I am making bread, "refrigerator dough" e.g. a universal dough that makes just about any roll that I previously bought from the dough boy. quiche, apple crisp, apple pie (yes with homemade pie crust), brownies, soup, white sauce, cheese sauce... the list goes on.

Laundry - reusing towels, hanging some things to dry, and the new biggie - we are on day five of cloth diapers for Maiya - yes I know you are cringing - but they are much better than I would have ever thought. This is the brand we bought slightly used off ebay - and really like - http://www.kushies.com/Cataloque/diapers/diapers_ultra.html
I wish I could go back in time and use them on Benjamin and Ella. We are still using disposable for out & about and night - but that means only one or two a day. And no its not gross - I am doing a dry pail (with lid), washing every other day - first rinse in cold water then wash in hot. The other reason besides saving money (like you need another reason) was I hear cloth diapers aid potty training - I'll keep you posted on that - that will be a while.
I am so excited to think of grocery shopping without $20 of diapers on the list :) - and I can use them again when number four rolls along.

Thrift stores - I have always done this - I think the only new clothes the kids wear are gifts. But my new strategy is to keep a "need sheet" in my price book - the sizes that I need exactly and shoes sizes - and notes about what I need besides kid clothes - so I don't get "distracted" on stuff we don't need.

Thermostat - We own sweaters for a reason - its set at 68 - and will be at 80 come this summer:) We "heart" our fireplace even more.

The only dissident so far is Meg - she wants "real" cereal. But like Ella said "I hope its on sale - or I can't get it"


"Frugality without creativity is deprivation"
Amy Dacyczyn

4 comments:

Ryann said...

I am so impressed with you! Good job! And keep it up!

Kleanteeth said...

Thanks for the tips. I love the Salvation Army, half off clothes on Wednesdays. As far as cloth diapers go, naaassstttyyy. You wash your clothes in poop infested waters, gag. If my kids poop in the undies, in the trash they go. My money saving tip is that I try not to buy stuff I don't need. Simple.

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you, especially the cooking from scratch thing. I'd do more of that but it seems with just 2 of us, and me working, it's easier to go with the "ready made". Probably an incorrect assumption, but ----. And cloth diapers aren't a bad thing -- ask "mother nature". Number four?? Is there a hidden message there?

Janie said...

Its not nasty - with a pre-"dunk" and a pre-rinse they are not being washed in poopy water. You do know water leaves the washer between each cycle? With the style we got its a flap design I hold the outer layer and never come in contact with "it" - well no more than disposables. I don't wash other stuff with them - a small diaper load every other day.

NO Hidden message Nana - not yet anyway - I am not making a road trip in two months sick!!

I agree about buying stuff you don't need - I just try to limit where I go - not to places I like to spend money, bye bye Ikea... (yeah right)