Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Bad Mom on Trial...

Do you ever feel like the stars have aligned against you -- last night it started -- first I couldn't sleep so I read until about 12:30 then finally dozed off only to be woke up by Maiya at 1:15 - her fussiness lasted on and off until about 2:40 am and finally ended with a dose of tylenol and 30 minutes of continuous rocking to home and garden television. Needless to say we were running late this morning. I couldn't find a bra to save my life and couldn't even consider a shower -- so off we went. Fast forward to the new dentist's office a couple of hours later (Maiya had continued her fussiness so a late shower was out of the question). Benjamin went first and when the dental hygeinist came out; I asked how it went -- I immediately got that "look", you mom's know it. The "you are not on the ball mother" look. And without stepping into the hallway or anything, right there in front of a full waiting room she says "Well he has THREE cavities and one is serious, you really shouldn't let him have so much root beer." random "What are you talking about?? Root beer??" "He said he drinks root beer everyday" I said "He's FIVE, he also has aliens living inside of him - did he tell you about that, I hardly ever buy root beer, and that's beside the point" I think the real issue is that his teeth are VERY close together and difficult to clean and he grinds his teeth a LOT. Now I could have been sensitive by this point but I am pretty sure she rolled her eyes "All kids grind their teeth, that is very common" and at that very instant I saw myself, my bra-less, sleepy, dirty clothed, snotty nosed baby on hip self and it hit; ohhhh you think I'm that kind of mom - it was like I saw it in her eyes, she probably thought I had never even bought them a toothbrush before...
I suppose if this post had a point it would be: first, I may look like it but I am not that kind of mom - the truth is not many mothers are - we do the best we can with what we got!! Second, if I was I wouldn't have even brought him to the dentist!!! Third, I don't care what kind of insurance I have or don't have, I am your customer -- treat me like it!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kleanteeth said...

That made me laugh, I can see the picture clearly in my head. The funny part is that you know you've given that same look to other mother's too. We've all been on both ends. Se la vi.

Ryann said...

I would have been just as mad. First off, isn't there a privacy issue? Sure, he is five years old, but that doesn't mean that his personal medical history should be broadcast into the entire waiting area.

I would absolutely write a letter of complaint to the office describing the condescending and unproffesional behavior of the technician. Regardless of your appearance, you should have been treated with respect.

My name is Andrea said...

Ha ha ha, i do love it. Truth be told, the dentist is one place that I totally feel like there is a judgement passed. Bad teeth=bad mom. I admit, we haven't gone to the dentist as regularly as we should because quite honestly it wasn't in the budget, and can be soooo expensive with no insurance!! But I still tried to get them in once every couple of years!! :)