Friday, September 14, 2012

Dear Baby,

284 days ago.

Another day is passing since your due date. My mind wanders to you almost every second. It has been strange not knowing if you are a boy or a girl. I have no firm motherly instincts either way, probably because I will be very happy no matter what. It is a cliche, but I just hope you are strong and healthy.

I'll never ever be comfortable saying for sure, but my heart thinks you may be the last baby in our family. If that is the case you won't be a big brother or sister but you will get to always be the baby of the family. That gives you a tender spot in my heart.

I hope life in a family of six children is not too overwhelming for you and that the craziness of our family is tempered by the joy.  We are all so excited to have you here with us. I hope you never feel left out, but that with eight of us here there will always be a friend for you and someone to talk to.

I am a very lucky woman to be your mother. I have dreamed of a big family since the first time I even considered being a mother. I am so grateful to be here on this earth in a body that has let me realize that dream. Your dad is such a kind person and never once let fears or concerns of being the father to many come before his excitement that you are coming to us.

I know you could arrive at anytime now. And I am so ready for that, but I also want to cherish these last moments of you being very much a part of me. I cherish your kicks and hiccups and writhing movements. And I will miss them.

I know now that childbirth is not just something only mom does but is a feat mom and baby accomplish together.  I know that you are the one that starts the process and I will do my best to wait patiently for you to be truly ready.  I hope we are both strong and brave through the journey of getting you earthside. I know that the moment you are in my arms will be a moment I will remember for the rest of our lives, no matter how much you grow and how far away you go from me.

From the moment I knew you were coming till now there has been a lot of growth and change for me. I can't wait to see the same thing occur in you as you grow.  No matter what I will always be cheering you on.

I hope you never doubt the love we all have for you.
I know life will be hard but I hope it is still fun.
There is so much out here waiting for you.

We are ready when you are.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for making me cry!!!!!! I love you dearly!!! You have such strength, wisdom and foresight. Baby #6 will be very blessed to be a part of your family.

MOV said...

What an exciting time! Congratulations!

best,
MOV

Nana to Oz said...

You made me cry too!! You are such an awesome Mom and Kyle is such an awesome Dad!! How blessed this baby is to have you as parents -- and all those great big brothers and sisters too!!! He/she will be so cherished and loved!! And I can't wait to fill my arms with this bundle of joy -- my heart is already full!! We're all anxious to meet you, Boo!!

kira lee said...

so sweet, i had tears too!