Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DFW to BWI, to Grandmother's Condo we go...

A big day! - Flying 'unaccompanied', a pre-paid cell phone, skylink ride around the airport, time zone change, Getting to see Grandma and 'Uncle' Tony*!!
Two VERY excited kids.
Two VERY nervous parents...
kids leave town
getting to the airport
kids leave town
checking on the flight
kids leave town
taking a ride around the airport to kill time
kids leave town
excited beyond words
kids leave town
about to go! - Ella was in charge of paperwork (around her neck) and Benjamin was manning the cell phone
kids leave town
Are you ready?
kids leave town
waiting
kids leave town
TIME TO...
kids leave town
GO!!!!!!!
I held it together. Its funny because when you are a kid and nervous about big trips, first days of school, camp, etc. Your parents remain calm and completely cool about it. So you think they are totally cool with it. Waving goodbye at Benjamin's thrilled eyes and Ella's nervous grin - I thought "you guys have no idea that I am more nervous and excited for you than any person could possibly be!!!"

kids leave town
We waited around to be sure the plane had taken off the ground. Cora thought this airport place was pretty cool. Skylink sans carseat or seatbelt. And she got to walk around without the stroller a bit. She kept her arms folded - I didn't know if she was mimicking 'church' because I make her walk with her arms folded at church or if it was a way to keep us from holding her hands!
kids leave town
I took pictures of her and let her look at them on the back of the camera to occupy her for a while -- this one really shows off her two toned eyes :)
If you are wondering Ms. Maiya was at ballet camp. And good thing, because she was sad to say goodbye - a goodbye at home was just right!
kids leave town
then she took a picture of us. from below it was such a bad picture of me I almost threw up, so I made Kyle take another one with me so I could leave with some version of self dignity!


* Uncle Tony - is my mother's boyfriend - Not the kids Uncle but with lack of a better title Benjamin started calling him Uncle Tony a few years ago and it has stuck :)

They will be staying at my mom's condo on the beautiful Potomac River in a High Rise condo complex - much different from suburbian Texas. They have grand plans to sight see in DC. Ella is most excited to see the Lincoln memorial and Benjamin can't wait to see the Spy Museum - which when he is excited sounds like he is saying the spine museum :)

They will be back in two weeks or something like that... My mom is nothing if not flexible.

About that time I'll be 34 weeks pregnant - whoa... stay tuned for this baby boy's name. There has been much baby naming drama in these parts. I think its about time to make it official and put the drama to rest. And what is more official than the blog right??

6 comments:

Abby said...

Scary for you, fun for them. We loved the Spy Museum by the way. It was super long though with gobs of reading, so I hope he's into that. Also, at $18/person, it's pricey. Sheesh! Must be to pay off the Bond car....

Meg said...

tell me why I teared up while reading this.... they are growing up too fast, MAKE THEM STOP!!!
I remember flying alone, gave me a sort of dignity that only doing something big by yourself can.

I loved how close they were walking together in the last picture. They may fight like crazy but you can tell they have the sibling protective thing down.

Sarah said...

next summer you and i are spending two weeks at your moms condo and she's taking us around to see all the sights :D this history teacher needs it!!!!!

you are so brave-- i know sending claire on an airplane by herself would KILL me!!!

p.s. claire just saw the pic of you in the hospital holding cora and asked did janie have p-----?

(yes claire, you were at her house three hours ago and she has now had a baby and posted pictures on her blog)

Meredith said...

Janie-
Amazing. Brave. Awesome!

Ryann said...

Good job!!! Am happy you got through it! did they land alright?

Brooke said...

After you left, I remembered I didn't ask you if you had a name :) We had all kinds of name drama with Gwen. Fun stuff.

I didn't know cora had two different colored eyes like Ainsley!