Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Frugal update

Frugal living is the life for me...
We are making major dents in our credit card, and other loans. I put Dave Ramsey on everyday (1-4 - my time - check him out on your stations) - He offers daily doses of motivation.
The other day I really liked something he said - "Credit is the cigarette of the financial world"
That is so true - its something that so many people do that they know is wrong - but justify it anyway. I think of how many times I used it for stupid things and I get mad at myself. I am not saying it wasn't always neccessary or that we will never have to use it again but I look at it totally different now. I would only consider using one if its was something on the same level as needing to borrow money from friends or family. I may think something is a neccessity but then I visualize myself asking a real person to loan me money to get it - and if I wouldn't do that I don't need it.
We are only on Baby step 2 - but very motivated and our biggest goal right now is to refi with a 15 year morgage within a few years. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Check out this break down

Other Davisms I like:
Act your Wage!!
Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else
Be so frugal people think you are crazy
You'll pay a "stupid tax" for bad financial decisions
money problems are not about the numbers its about your emotions

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you pay 2 extra payments a year towards your mortgage, like from tax refund or savings, this will also pay off your house in 15 years. Kristi

Janie said...

No its not 15 years - I think its like 17 to 20 and you don't get as low of an interest rate as you do wih a 15 yr. - but it does help

Anonymous said...

It is 15, but you're right the interest rate won't be lower, but this way you don't have to come up with the extra money each month.

Anonymous said...

You're officially a contender to my Mom for the Most Frugalest Person I Know title! :) More power to you!

Tony