Monday, April 16, 2007

How the nor'easter affected me...

So just to update everyone - Dallas in general did get some really bad storms this past weekend but we fared just fine - nothing but badly needed rain here. But strangely enough the storms in New Jersey made for an interesting morning at my house.
The phone rings about 15 minutes before I need to be out the door walking with Sarah. I figured something had come up and she needed to cancel. Wrong I say hello and all of a sudden there is this woman with a thick northern accent yelling at me "MY DAUGHTER HAS AN EARLY CLASS AND THE COP AT THE SCHOOL TOLD HER WE ARE IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY AND THERE WON'T BE ANY SCHOOL - I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW" Now keep in mind I was barely awake - "Ok you are going to have slow down and start all over - I'm not sure what you are talking about" Simultaneously I am racking my brain trying to figure out what woman in the neighborhood thinks I would know what was going on at the high school and why we are in a state of emergency" - as my mind draws a complete blank she starts over and amazingly this time she raises her voice even more and goes faster "MY DAWTER IS UP AT THE SCHOUL..." - I cut her off "What school?" "THE HIGH SCHOUL" "in prosper?" - "NO, ARE YOU THE SECRATARY OR WHAT?" Now I am finally awake some after being yelled at for so long and being relieved knowing its not some neighbor I know - I cut her off - "I am positive you have the wrong number" "OH SARRI"... click
It wasn't until I watched the today show and saw there was a really bad storm in New Jersey that I realized she accidentally called my 972 number instead of the NJ 973 area code. The universe shouldn't let things like that happen before 6:30 in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Nor'easter has been interesting. My classroom is in a modular building. At 9:30, the ten classrooms out here were hustled into the main building for the rest of the morning. Fairfax County schools are closing three hours early. Of course, on Mondays all elementary schools close at 12:40 anyway! Too bad it couldn't have been windy on a Tuesday... The wind is really wailing outside. I just want to go home. Unfortunately, teachers have to stay till normal dismissal. Hope everyone is staying inside!